First half goals inflict defeat on Long Eaton


Long Eaton United suffered a 2-1 defeat at Boldmere St Michaels.

United started on the charge and pushed the hosts back for the opening 15 minutes and were a fraction away from taking the lead when Brad Wells broke free from a challenge on the right before crossing into the box.

Elliot King was first to the ball but couldn’t make contact.

Jarrad Westcarr found space down the right minutes later and hit a low cross to the back post but Wells couldn’t get enough on to it and the attempt went well wide.

There wasn’t much in the way of attacking from the hosts despite the the wind advantage until the 25th minute when United conceded a free kick on the half way line.

The hosts’ taker may have been aiming for the centre but a gush of wind swerved the ball to the left and it evaded everyone, including the United keeper Coton.

Spurred on by the goal, Boldmere pushed forward and started hitting high balls into the Blues box, the wind causing changes of direction.

One such event allowed a tame ball down the left to be directed back to a a Boldmere player in the 32nd minute. He laid it off to Jack Skinner who blasted the ball past Coton.

It already looked a mountain for United to get back into it but the management must have been hoping for the half time whistle as soon as possible.

United made two changes at the break and it almost had an immediate impact when Wells went close in the 50th minute, his shot smacking the post.

With 30 left to go proceedings took a dramatic change.

Wells was brought down 30 yards out with a stamping offence attracting the referees attention, the culprit shown a straight red.

The resulting free kick was headed into the post by Burton and Rickford hit the volley home.

It was now all United and the hosts could have lost another when sub Cooper-Richards was brought down on the right when he could have been through on goal.

With seven minutes left United also dropped to ten when Burton was adjudged to have held Agbor for the hosts who was through. The free kick came to nothing but the temperature of the game rose.

Despite good efforts of United they couldn’t undo the damage inflicted in the first half and could have concede another had it not been for United’s Hayes clearing off the line with a header.