Ilkeston fight back to seal three points

Gary Ricketts scored twice for Ilkeston.
Gary Ricketts scored twice for Ilkeston.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Evo-Stik Division One South


Gary Ricketts 57, 77

Daryll Thomas 69


Tom Garrick 50

by Mark Duffy

GARY Ricketts scored twice as Ilkeston FC came from behind to record their second 3-1 victory in three days.

This one wasn’t quite as comfortable as Saturday’s encounter, with Lincoln a much more persistent attacking threat for most of the game, but the Robins did what was needed to jump above Carlton Town into second place.

Ricketts was a danger from the off, seeing two efforts go close in the opening minutes – keeper Michael Cooke doing well to block the first after only 90 seconds.

At the other end, Scott Low turned away a shot by Lincoln’s Craig Leverett in the sixth minute and had to be alert to do similar with Brendan McDaid’s header from the resulting corner.

Tom Garrick then headed Jack McGovern’s header over from a free-kick as the lively opening continued.

Ricketts was in fact to net twice in the opening half but both were cancelled out for offside, the second one harsh on team-mate Jack Watts whose shot probably didn’t need Ricketts’ help into the net which made it illegal.

Garrick and George Zuderner threatened for United, before some jiggery pokery from Watts on the edge of the box ended with a decent strike which Cooke did well to parry.

Watts was close again when Matt Richards broke away on 25 minutes, his pull back turned over the top from the edge of the area, and Richards himself should have scored on half-time but volleyed over from six yards out after Ricketts set him up.

But it was Lincoln who would take the lead five minutes into the second-half.

James Reid appeared to be fouled inside the Lincoln half but the referee allowed play to continue, and when the ball came to Garrick on the left he cut inside and hit a fine effort into the far corner of the net from just outside the penalty area.

The equaliser came seven minutes later and Ricketts was finally to get his goal. It was similar to the opener on Saturday, as a short corner to Reid was followed by across which was deflected to the back post and Ricketts fired in from two yards out.

Watts then saw a volley blocked after a corner as Ilkeston began to turn the screw, while at the other end defender Stuart Reddington saw an effort go too high.

But the lead arrived on 69 and it was a welcome sight. Sub Daryll Thomas hadn’t netted since November 19, but after Watts had run onto an excellent Joe Maguire through ball and seen his shot saved, Thomas blasted in the rebound and the relief was evident.

The third wasn’t long in coming either, as Watts again created by floating in a free-kick from the right which Ricketts met with a precise cushioned header into the corner of the net.

In the ensuing debates, Lincoln’s Sean Wright was then sent off, seemingly for a few too many verbals in the direction of the referee who showed the United man a straight red.

Zuderner tested Low for United but the young keeper was equal to the long range effort, while Watts, whose overall play deserved more than the luck he had in front of goal, twice more went close when in good positions as the Robins saw the game out.

Ilkeston: 1 Scott Low 2 James Cullingworth 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Joe Maguire 5 Dan Partridge 6 Josh Hill 7 Jack Watts 8 Matt Richards 9 Gary Ricketts (Tyrell Waite 90) 10 James Reid (Joe Wilcox 73) 11 Sam Duncum (Daryll Thomas 46)

Subs not used: Darren Caskey, Andrew Osei-Siribour

Att: 404

Ref: Daniel Meeson

Star Robin: Jack Watts