Ilkeston lose again as Workington power home

Ilkeston v Workington action.
Ilkeston v Workington action.

A Scott Allison brace ensured promotion chasing visitors Workington eased past Ilkeston in a deserved 3-0 win as the Robins lost a fifth EvoStick NPL game in a row.

The Robins began the game with Dan Udoh as the lone striker, Curtis Burrows was just in behind; Luis Rose and Dexter Atkinson sat on the flanks. Danny Gordon and the returning Mike Williams were in the holding role.

The game started in tentative fashion; both sides aiming to control the midfield with sharp tackles and pinpoint passing the name of the game in the early stages.

Ilkeston’s first effort came from Luis Rose who couldn’t keep a fierce half-volley down, it sailed over the bar.

Ilkeston dominated the early possession but Workington were resilient in defence, pressing the Robins back.

The Reds first effort came from Joseph McGee, who sizzled an effort wide of the top corner from outside the box. Williams then tried an ambitious effort from 30 yards which went way wide.

Dexter Atkinson then came closest; he showed great technique to hit an effort just wide of the far post.

But Workington began to press and showed a few warning signs, a long ball forward found Scott Allison who battled with Ryan Head but the Robins defender did well to concede a corner.

From the resulting corner Sam Smith headed over, moments later Gari Rowntree’s cross to the back post found Joshua Calvert, whose header went wide of the far post.

However after 29 minutes, the Reds were ahead. A long throw which troubled the Robins at Darlington came to haunt them again as both Jamie Hannis and Luke Shaw missed the ball and Anthony Wright was on hand to head in at the back post.

Workington pushed on, earning several corners which were cleared. Kyle May then drove a cross towards the back post which just eluded the run of Connor Hammell. May nearly added to the lead, heading wide from Conor Tinnion’s corner.

Williams then had a golden opportunity to equalise; he collected an Udoh flick but couldn’t hit the target as he fired wide from inside the D.

The second half saw David Jones come on for his debut as he replaced Udoh.

But Workington continued the pressure. McGee fired into the side netting before the Robins cleared several dangerous free kicks into the box.

With 61 minutes on the watch, the visitors extended the lead. Tinnion curled a free kick which was well palmed onto the bar by Hannis but Allison was on hand to tap in the rebound from a yard out.

Williams then had a chance to pull one back, he hit a free kick from 27 yards which was straight at Jonny Jamieson.

But six minutes later, the Reds added a third. A flowing counter attack saw McGee race into the box, he squared for Allison to finish clinically into the bottom corner to sink the Robins further.

Ilkeston searched for a consolation, and Atkinson flicked the ball over the top where Burrows showed great instincts to lob the on-rushing Jamieson, but the ball hit the post and was cleared.

Jones then cut inside and forced another stop before Burrows looped a header over from Shaw’s cross.

However, Workington left the New Manor Ground with all three points in a deserved win.

Next up for llkeston FC is the trip to Kidsgrove Athletic in the Doodson League Cup Quarter-Finals on Wednesday evening, 7.45pm kick-off.

ILKESTON: Jamie Hannis, Luke Shaw, Aiden Print, Danny Gordon, Matt Baker(c), Ryan Head, Dexter Atkinson (Ben Morris 81), Curtis Burrows, Daniel Udoh (David Jones 45), Mike Williams, Luis Rose. Subs not used: Haydn Goddard, Keenan Meakin, Max Thornberry.

WORKINGTON: Jonny Jamieson, Jacob Simpson (Gareth Arnison 82), Gari Rowntree(c), Kyle May, Sam Smith, Joshua Calvert, Connor Hammell (Matthew Tymon 78), Anthony Wright, Scott Allison(Kingsley Grandison 86), Joseph McGee, Conor Tinnion. Subs not used: Robert McCartney, Alex Mitchell.