Ilkeston Town FC pegged back by Nuneaton equaliser

editorial image

Ilkeston Town’s hopes of a quick return to winning ways were dashed by a second half equaliser at Nuneaton Griff.

The Robins’ proud winning run back to October had come to an end in their previous match.

But lowly Nuneaton were no pushovers as Ilkeston’s Midland League Division One title hopes took a knock.

A second half strike from Lewis Commins cancelled out Alex Marshall’s first half goal at The Pingles Stadium.

Ilkeston had the better chances in the first half before taking the lead just before half-time.

Marshall volleyed wide after he was picked out by Lavell White and Montel Gibson curled an effort just over the bar.

But Steve Chettle’s side were rewarded for their pressure with the breakthrough.

Micah Edwards played in Marshall after a good run and the striker calmly slotted the ball past Aiden Jeynes into the far corner.

Marshall was played in again moments later, but fired over.

The Robins started the second half on the front foot and might have scored further goals that could have secured the three points.

Tom Marshall’s corner almost drifted in at the far post and Gibson’s effort was deflected over.

The visitors were punished when Nuneaton equalised in the 57th minute against the run of play.

A ball from the right put in Commins one-on-one with Ilkeston keeper Ian Deakin and the forward back-heeled into the net.

Both teams then had chances to win the game.

Charlie Jemson headed just over after Chris Shaw nodded Tom Marshall’s corner back across goal.

Chris Mitchell came close for the home side, firing just over.

Ilkeston piled on the pressure with a succession of corners in the final minutes, but they could not find the breakthrough.

They were also thwarted by the heroics of Nuneaton’s 16-year-old keeper Aidan Jeynes.

Manager Steve Chettle said he was frustrated by the lack of quality throughout the 90 minutes.

His side have the chance to put that right this weekend when Nuneateon make the return journey to play the reverse fixture at the New Manor Ground.

The draw left Nuneaton in 17th place with 25 points from their 27 matches.

Fourth-placed Ilkeston have 49 points from 24 with their rearranged game against leaders Walsall Wood, after it was postponed the previous weekend, looking to be crucial to their title hopes — assuming they can quickly get back to winning ways.

Ilkeston Town: 1 Deakin, 2 White, 3 Walker, 4 Shaw, 5 Jemson, 6 T Marshall, 7 Edwards, 8 Wheatley, 9 A Marshall, 10 Gibson, 11 Bennett.