Ilkeston youngsters put nine goals past Spondon

Ilkeston Town U7 9

Spondon Dyn Black Sox 0

ILKESTON returned from a three-week break in style by hammering Spondon Black Sox at the weekend.

The Robins started this match with the wind at their backs and were soon one up when Kian Williams collected a good pass and fired the ball into the roof of the net.

Williams then turned provider for Town’s second when he slid the ball to an unmarked Oliver Gregory who duly slotted it past the keeper.

The same players were at it again with a neat one-two leaving Williams to double his score, and his hat-trick was to come and with only ten minutes played as he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and netted Ilkeston’s fourth of the match.

The great passing and flowing movement continued which provided Williams with his fourth, then shortly before half-time he put Ilkeston six up after a good cross from Nathaniel Peters.

After the break Town never let their heads drop and the ball was played down the field directly from the kick off to an advancing Peters who scored his first of the game.

Next it was the turn of Town’s first-half keeper, Ellis White, who placed the ball through the unfortunate keeper’s legs to make it eight.

Ilkeston’s final goal game by way of a set-piece when the ball was handled two yards outside of the area. Nathan Longdon stepped up, took one look at the top corner of the net and fired the ball goalwards to leave everyone motionless.

Man of the match went to George Chapman for a solid defensive play.

Ilkeston Ladies 1

Ruddington Ladies 1

This was the Ladies last game of the season and turned out to be a cracker.

The Ilkeston midfield of Stacey Anthony, Shannon Copley, Natalie Bennett, Shannon Layton and Alex Duff battled for every ball from the kick off.

The game was end-to-end with the Ladies’ defence holding firm, Louise Priest making valuable contributions as the last man before Ruddington could get near goalkeeper Sophie Barrett who kept a clean sheet in the first-half.

The second-half saw Ilkeston continue the pressure with some key changes including Paige Richmond dropping into goal to continue the sterling work of Barratt.

Ilkeston attacked Ruddington with Lee-Anne Richardson and Heather Griffin making some key links with Georgina Thornley who was battling in midfield.

Ruddington used the advantage of the downhill and playing with the wind to pot shot at the Ilkeston goal. One was successful which Richmond could not stop due to its height and the swirl from the conditions.

Ilkeston were not to be outdone as the defensive line of Beth Harris, Barratt, Libby Brown and Layton held firm.

The Ladies stepped up a gear with continued runs on goal resulting in a goalmouth scramble from which Stacey Anthony tapped home.

The game continued in the same fashion with Ruddington applying the pressure till the end. A draw was a worthy result for both sides.

Ilkeston would like to thank this year’s sponsors Impact Electrical Distribution Ltd, F and R Timber Products and Fellini Textiles Ltd.

The team is looking for new players and sponsors for next season and anyone interested can contact 07939 821049.

Young Elizabethan League

Cup Final

Long Eaton United U9 1

Carlton Town U9 3

Long Eaton, whose catastrophic end of season form cost them the league title after leading until March, suffered a heartbreaking and luckless loss to Carlton Town in the cup final.

United looked edgy in the early stages and Carlton were full of running.

With ten minutes gone, United shook off their lethargy when Reece Widdowson released Colby Reynolds who placed his shot just wide.

Soon afterwards, James Taylor cut inside his marker and unleashed a vicious drive that hit the corner of the post and crossbar.

Well against the run of play, Carlton took the lead when the United defenders got mixed up and the striker bundled the ball in at the second attempt.

United kept pushing for an equaliser. Taylor and then Jack Burton both hit the post from distance and Taylor saw another skilful free-kick deflected by the keeper onto the bar and away.

Midway through the second-half, Josh Melville’s crossfield pass was latched onto by Widdowson. His first shot was saved by the keeper but he made no mistake with the rebound.

Carlton regained the lead and then stretched it during a terrible five minutes for United.

The keeper fumbled a free-kick and was then unsighted when another long range effort found the corner of the net.

Near the end Taylor’s sublime chip put Widdowson through again but the Carlton goalkeeper, adjudicated the man-of-the-match at the presentation ceremony, made another brilliant save.