Ironmen stay in promotion race

BELOW are the latest junior football results from across our area.

Stanton Ilkeston U12 7

Stanton kept in the promotion hunt with a fine win over Codnor.

Daniel Body opened the scoring with a good low finish and the second came from an excellent Joshua Axe corner that John Mill did well to head in at the far post.

Codnor pulled one back but the third Stanton goal was crucial and came when Ragnar Mularczyk got past his marker on the right and crossed for Mill to bag his second.

The hosts started the second-half strongly but a fourth goal killed the game with Mularczyk converting it.

The fifth came from Axe’s free-kick which James Kibble bravely slid in to convert and the sixth saw a fine Body cross headed home powerfully by skipper Jack Doughty.

Codnor pulled another goal back but that wasn’t the end of the scoring as Frank Mavin’s through ball sent Mularczyk away finish well for his second and Stanton’s seventh.

Wilford 3

Long Eaton U9 8

UNITED recovered from a half-time deficit to destroy Wilford with eight goals.

Long Eaton took the lead when Reece Widdowson sent James Taylor away on a mazy run and he beat the keeper.

Wilford equalised from a free-kick in their own half that the United defence failed to clear and took a shock lead when their winger outpaced the defence on the flank and crossed for an easy finish.

It was different story in the second-half.

United drew level when the goalie fumbled a Taylor shot and Brandon Jarvis fired in a hard drive for the lead after Joe Lacey’s flick was cleared off the line.

Soon afterwards, the keeper punted the ball straight to Taylor who released Widdowson for the fourth and Widdowson then produced a powerful finish after Jack Burton threaded a neat ball through the tiring defence.

Taylor latched onto another poor goal kick for his hat-trick and his fourth came from a weary headed clearance when Lacey swung over a dangerous ball from the right.

Some splendid inter-passing eventually found man of the match Lacey in the box and he scored the eighth United goal before Wilford scored a well-worked consolation near the end.

Keyworth Utd 0

Ilkeston Town U11 3

Ilkeston came up against the unbeaten league leaders and after having to soak up immense pressure in the early exchanges ran out comfortable winners.

Keyworth bombarded Ilkeston from the start and Limb in goal saved well on more than one occasion.

Ilkeston eventually grabbed the lead on the break when Proctor-Smith played an inch perfect ball through for Cropper who slipped the ball past the advancing keeper.

Ilkeston started the second-half brightly and deservedly went two up when a long throw from Cropper was flicked on by Butler for Proctor-Smith to score.

Keyworth looked to get back into the game but there was no getting past Limb in goal who was in inspired form.

Ilkeston grabbed a third just on full-time when AJ fired an unstoppable free-kick into the top corner.

Trowell U16 4

Bagthorpe 1

TROWELL returned from a short break in style with a comfortable win over Bagthorpe.

They flew into an early lead when Connor Chilton skilfully rounded several defenders in the box and shot home.

And the second goal followed very shortly afterwards when some great play by Benji Hill on the left saw his cross find an unmarked Josh West who volley a fine strike into the net.

Bagthorpe would not lie down and scored a well-taken goal to make it 2-1, but Jake Stubbs soon scored Trowell’s third with a deflected effort.

It took 20 minutes of the second-half for Trowell to wrap the game off when Jack Sanders’ corner resulted in a scramble and the ball went over the line.

Man-of-the-match went to Ryan Baxter.

Stanton Colts U12 4

Redwood Rockets 6

STANTON played their part in a ten-goal thriller but ultimately fell to defeat against Redwood Rockets.

Colts led after five minutes when Callum Stevenson set up Jake Nicholson for the opening goal.

And the same player soon added a second goal after some good control on the edge of the box.

It was 3-0 soon afterwards and Nicholson was a hat-trick hero after turning in Travis Ball’s corner.

But Redwood then bounced back and caught Colts on the break on numerous occasions, eventually resulting in the scores being level 3-3 at half-time.

Stanton’s heads dropped in the second-half and that led to Rockets scoring another three goals which Tom Trueman in goal could do nothing about.

The Colts pulled one back with a solo run down the wing by Kynan Iliffe who set up Stevenson to score, but the damage was done and Rockets took the points.

West Hallam Villa U9 3

Spondon Dynamos 1

Villa played their best half of the season to recover from being one down at half-time to beat second placed Spondon.

Spondon scored a slightly fortuitous goal when a throw-in wasn’t cleared and the ball was forced home by their striker.

But Villa found some grit and determination and, more importantly, passed the ball beautifully at times.

James Taylor found Reece Widdowson in space on the left flank and his first time cross was tapped in by Mason Deakin.

Taylor then swung over an inviting corner and man of the match Ellis Hacking powered in a downward header for the lead.

The match was made safe when Joe Lacey pulled the ball back from the wing and Widdowson produced a decisive finish from around the penalty spot.

West Hallam Harriers U9 1

Duffield 1

Harriers found it difficult to get going in the first-half, struggling to control the Duffield midfield and as a consequence created very few chances.

Duffield led through a goal that was scored when the Harriers defence was depleted with an injured player out of play.

However, the goal was taken with no little expertise with a good finish into the corner.

Harriers were a different side in the second-half and man-of-the-match Daniel Heidari produced a dynamic performance in midfield.

The equaliser came from Luke Cox who burst through the Duffield defence and scored with a scorching left footer.

Harriers dominated the last ten minutes but a number of chances went begging and a draw was probably a fair result.

Ilkeston Town U7 4

Mickleover Sports Club 5

An unknown Mickleover proved to be a very tough obstacle for an unbeaten Ilkeston side.

Sports who were soon two goals up within the first ten minutes but Nathaniel Peters pulled one back and then set up Aaron Birkin for his first goal of the season.

Mickleover then went back in front but this didn’t deter Town and after Peters picked up the ball on the halfway line, rounded two defenders and placed the ball in the top corner it was all square again.

Ilkeston went into the lead for the first time in the game after a great run and cross from Oliver Gregory who picked out Kian Williams to score.

With only five minutes to play it looked as though Town were to survive, even when Mickleover pulled a goal back to level the score everyone agreed this was a fair result.

But Sports pressed on and scored again to inflict the first defeat on an unbeaten Ilkeston side.

Town’s man of the match was George Chapman.

Draycott 0

Stanton Ilkeston U16 3

The game started with the ball shared equally between both teams as the football was a little scrappy.

Stanton soon began to get the ball down and with this chances came.

Magdaleno stormed through from midfield and put a chance just wide, and soon the same player was brought down for a penalty which he dispatched himself to put his side ahead.

Stanton now controlled the game and Tomlin played a great ball over the top for Watson out wide and he chipped the advancing goalkeeper for Stanton’s second.

The third came from Magdaleno when another surging run from midfield left him unmarked in the box to tap in Watson’s pinpoint cross.

The second half saw no more goals though Jones in goal pulled off a fine save to keep Draycott out.

Man-of-the-match: Ash New.

Stanton Ilkeston U11 2

Stocky Rams 2

The return match with Stocky Rams proved to be an exciting encounter.

The visitors were forced into a few early shots from distance but Stanton soon fought back and after Jack Lipscomb and Brandon Godsall fought for the ball, Joseph Corker scored from close range to put his side in front.

After a good run, Lipsomb then produced a pinpoint cross for striker Harry New to rise and head in an excellent goal to make it 2-0 at half time.

Rams stepped up in the second-half and as Stanton failed to capitalise on their overall command of the game, Rams produced two late goals showing great spirit to level the scores at 2-2.

Little Eaton Diamonds 0

Ilkeston Town U11 3

ILKESTON produced a good away performance to overcome Little Eaton Diamonds.

Jordan Shaw and Curtis Wickstead both went close early on but the opening goal came when Brandon Quinney scored his first of the season with a fine volley.

The second-half began with the Robins scoring a second when Alex Gauntlett-Munn found Taylor Mottram who made it 2-0.

Gauntlett-Munn, Quinney and Mottram took multiple shots on goal to try and find the third but only Mottram was successful to round off the victory.

Man-of-the-match, sponsored by SPS Plumbing and Heating Services, went to Brandon Quinney.