It’s cruel in Goole as Robins lose out

Ilkeston's Russell Cooke was sent off for a challenge perhaps more deserving of a yellow card.
Ilkeston's Russell Cooke was sent off for a challenge perhaps more deserving of a yellow card.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Evo-Stik Division One South


Vill Powell 47, 73

Luke Jeffs 52


by Mark Duffy

‘The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow, and what will poor robin do then, poor thing?’

‘Not a lot’ is probably the best answer to the poser in that famous nursery rhyme, once you’ve allowed for the lack of snow and pluralised the robin to make it more accurate for this occasion.

For this was a dire display in horrible conditions and one which allowed hosts Goole to gain a modicum of revenge for the opening day hammering at the New Manor Ground.

Having been out of action for a fortnight the Robins never really got going, Goole’s similar period of inactivity also evident during the first-half.

But two quick strikes early in the second, followed by a red card for Russell Cooke and a killer third goal soon afterwards, meant it was the home side who deservedly took the points.

After a scrappy opening, Goole gave debutant keeper Sam Andrew his first taste of the action in the ninth minute when Simon Harrison’s free-kick from 25 yards moved around in the wind and the young stopper initially fumbled before managing to clear with his fist.

Daryll Thomas skewed horribly wide from distance with Ilkeston’s first shot on 13 minutes, if you can call it that, and Gary Ricketts had a looping header held by keeper Aaron Chapman ten minutes later.

The blustery conditions were making it hard to create much quality football, though a good move between Darren Caskey and Ryan Wilson saw the latter shoot straight at Chapman on 27 minutes.

Jack Watts was next to have a crack, his low effort from outside the penalty area on 38 minutes well wide of the target, and James Reid also tried from distance in first-half injury-time but was too high.

But the hosts were in front just two minutes into the second-half, Vill Powell running on to a ball lofted over the top and finishing well past Andrew.

And it was 2-0 just five minutes later. A free-kick out on the right was swung in powerfully by right-back Luke Jeffs, and his effort beat Andrew on his near post to go into the net off the upright.

Wilson saw an effort deflected into Chapman’s arms moments later as the Robins belatedly found their feet, Watts then seeing an effort blocked wide on 58.

Andrew then had to be alert to get a slight touch on Gavin Allott’s drive to see it over the top, before one or two of Goole’s players decided to go down a little easily under soft challenges, Watts getting a yellow card for what was certainly a push but not as serious as the reaction from both opponent and referee suggested.

And the referee then endeared himself further to the home faithful by producing a red card for Cooke on 68 minutes. The centre-half’s challenge on Matty Bloor was late and certainly bookable, but the red card seemed harsh.

And sure enough goal three followed on 73 minutes, when Powell picked the ball up on the edge of the penalty area before muscling his way into space and firing past Andrew.

Bloor smashed a shot high and wide on 82 as the hosts saw things out, while Powell missed two good opportunities to get his hat-trick.

Matt Richards should have scored for Ilkeston in injury-time when fed through the middle but he put his effort over the top, summing up the Robins’ afternoon.

Ilkeston: 1 Sam Andrew 2 James Cullingworth 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Matt Richards 5 Dan Partridge 6 Russell Cooke (c) 7 Jack Watts 8 Darren Caskey (Joe Maguire 72) 9 Gary Ricketts 10 Daryll Thomas (Andrew Osei-Siribour 82) 11 James Reid (Sam Duncum 82) Subs not used: Adam Colton, Joe Wilcox

Att: 206 Ref: P Cook