Late goal denies Long Eaton victory

Football Rumours
Football Rumours

A Westfields goal in the last minute denied Long Eaton a victory.

In an unchanged change side from Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Quorn United, Long Eaton were looking to get back to winning ways against a side who have always put up a fight since the Blues moved to the Midlands Premier League.

In the opening exchanges it was, as has been the case the last couple of games, United who did the most pressing.

Jerome O’Connor had a shot deflected wide after just five minutes and moments later Ben Gowing tried from 20 yards, but his shot was to slow to trouble Matt Gwyne in the opposition goal.

United kept up the pressure, but failed to create anything further in the Fields box.

This then gave the visitors to impitus to push further forward and Jamie Cuss will be smarting not to have converted a great cross from the right.

United were looking confident in the defence and, apart from the Cuss effort, the visitors failed to really trouble Low in the opening 35 minutes.

Idris Kabongo, who was playing one of his halves of the season, was a constant threat and in the 30th minute he took on, and beat, three players down the left before setting up a cross to Piliero.

His shot was deflected before Cole hit his against the keeper’s foot which went wide for a corner.

The second half began well for United with the Blues pressing high up the pitch preventing the visitors time on the ball.

It was good play from United and it caused their opponents to inadvertantly knock balls out of play.

United kept up the pressure, but there was a sense of the tide turning in the 65th minute as Westfields had three great chances to open the scoring.

Firstly Cuss had a shot parried by Low wide of his post and, 60 seconds, later Dean Lee skimmed a shot across the face of goal.

It seemed at that point that the opening goal would come from the visitors, but it was United who got ahead with 15 minutes to go.

Aaron Cole, who is now the club’s leading scorer, fired in a great shot which was too hot to handle for the visitors’ Gwyne.

The fields then had a lot of possesion and was causing the United defence a lot of problems.

With the Blues looking to grab their first three points under Rickford and Mushambi, the visitors piled forward and got their reward.

With just one minute on the clock Fields played a ball out wide. The Blues fans along that side shouted for offside with no success.

The ball was played into the box to Jamie Cuss who made no mistake.

It was a killer blow for the Blues and at the final whistle both sides left Grange Park with a point each.

There will certainly be discussions about the goal right at the end, but like Wednesday it was probably the fairest of results.