Laurie’s late winner makes it five in a row

Laurie Wilson celebrates his winner. Photo by Rob Stephenson
Laurie Wilson celebrates his winner. Photo by Rob Stephenson

Ilkeston FC 2 Worksop Town 1

Laurie Wilson struck a stoppage time winner to stretch Ilkeston FC’s winning streak to five league matches at the expense of Worksop Town.

With the visiting Tigers also on a fine run something had to give in this New Year’s Day duel and despite Tom Denton’s 84th minute header cancelling out Aaron Hooton’s opener to seemingly earn a point, Wilson popped up in the dying moments to steal the honours.

The spectacle put on perhaps didn’t match the pre-match expectancy given the sides’ respective form, but both looked eager for and capable of a victory throughout.

A quiet opening 15 minutes saw Worksop debutant Lee Potts and Ilkeston’s Joe Maguire both shoot harmlessly wide, before the Robins nearly snatched the lead when Laurie Wilson headed down Jack Watts’ corner and Gary Ricketts’ scooped effort was well pushed away by keeper Paul Bastock.

Hooton then saw a volley drop just wide moments later, while at the other end lanky frontman Denton twice saw headers fail to threaten Chris Martin in the Robins goal.

The recent signing from Alfreton did go very close, however, on 34 minutes when he capitalised on Martin’s poor touch from an Ash Burbeary cross but Denton’s prod towards goal lacked pace and Maguire was able to head off the line.

Worksop’s Ryan Clarke burst forward and saw a shot deflected over and Steve Towers hooked a volley too high before the break, but the sides would go in scoreless at half-time.

Ilkeston were much more of a threat in the second-half and after Ricketts had headed a James Cullingworth cross straight at Bastock and Hooton had seen the Tigers keeper push a low shot away from danger, the lead finally arrived on 65 minutes.

Sub James Reid’s first contribution was to put in a cross from the left which Bastock could only flap at, leaving the ball to drop for Ricketts whose weak shot was diverted in by Hooton inside the six-yard box for the opener.

Chances then became few and far between but Worksop were always a threat and got their goal six minutes from time.

A silly free-kick given away out on the right-wing resulted in Lee Beeson swinging over a cross and Denton leapt highest to nod in off the underside of the bar from six yards out.

At that stage, not many would have argued against a draw being a satisfactory outcome, but Ilkeston had other ideas.

As they kept the pressure on going into injury-time, Ryan Wilson was fouled just outside the penalty area, slightly left of centre.

Reid tapped the free-kick into the path of Laurie Wilson and he picked his spot through a crowded penalty area to drive a low effort into the far corner of the net and send the gathered home faithful into ectasy.

There was no time left for the visitors to respond, and the battle of the in-form sides had been won by the impressive hosts.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ilkeston: 1 Chris Martin 2 James Cullingworth 3 Dan Partridge 4 Laurie Wilson 5 Joe Maguire 6 Russell Cooke 7 Jack Watts 8 Ryan Wilson 9 Gary Ricketts (c) 10 Aaron Hooton 11 Russell Peel (James Reid 64). Subs not used: Greg Pearson, Dereece Gardner, Andrew Osei-Siribour, Joe Wilcox

Scorers: Hooton 65, L Wilson 90+2

Worksop: 1 Paul Bastock 2 Ryan Clarke 3 Lee Ridley 4 Jake Scott (Matt Young 56) 5 Luke Shiels 6 Kern Miller 7 Craig King (Stuart Ludlam 85) 8 Steve Towers (c) 9 Tom Denton 10 Ash Burbeary (Lee Beeson 62) 11 Lee Potts. Subs not used: Adie Hawes, Matt Telling

Scorer: Denton 84

Att: 678 Ref: A Park Star Robin: James Reid

by Mark Duffy