Laurie’s on the spot as Robins progress

Laurie Wilson netted the winner.
Laurie Wilson netted the winner.

Coalville Town 0 Ilkeston FC 1

Laurie Wilson’s second-half penalty was enough to send Ilkeston FC into the second qualifying round of the FA Cup at a sun-drenched Coalville on Saturday.

Wilson netted after a controversial handball decision against Town’s Callum Woodward on 55 minutes, but the win was deserved for the Robins who, after weathering early Coalville pressure, should really have won more comfortably.

Ashley Timms was making his first competitive start in goal for Ilkeston and he was in action inside five minutes, palming away well Ryan Robbins’ powerful strike for a corner.

Daryll Thomas wasted a good opportunity for Ilkeston on 12 minutes when he volleyed well wide in plenty of space following Jack Watts’ cross, before Robbins again threatened with a dipping volley that was too high.

Thomas again missed a good opportunity when blasting over the top from Gary Ricketts’ through ball, while at the other end Robbins continued to be a threat, flicking just wide on 33 after a mistake at the back by Ryan Wilson.

Ilkeston front man Thomas was having a frustrating day and came closest to breaking the deadlock on 36 minutes when his header from another Watts cross came back off the crossbar.

The returning Ricketts was then forced off with an ankle injury, replaced by youngster Adam Somes, and it was he who should have put Ilkeston in front on the stroke of half-time.

A cross to the back post by Thomas was headed across goal by Matt Richards, but Somes, six yards out, somehow put his side-footed effort wide of the post.

Timms was called into action again early in the second-half when he tipped Danny Davidson’s header wide on 53 minutes, but moments later the Robins were to take the lead.

Watts got to the byline and his attempt to pull the ball back was thwarted by the hand of Woodward who knew little about it, but referee Sean Richardson pointed to the penalty spot and Laurie Wilson stepped up to fire high into the net and put Ilkeston in front.

Chances became few and far between for the remainder of the game, Watts’ dipping volley over the top and Robbins with a drive from the edge of the area that was also too high being the closest, as Ilkeston sealed a win in their first ever FA Cup tie.

The Robins will now host either Matlock Town or Belper Town in the next round on September 22.

Coalville: 1 Sean Bowles, 2 Danny Jenno, 3 Liam Kay (David Leigh 85), 4 Lee Miveld, 5 Josh Hill, 6 Anthony Carney, 7 Callum Woodward (Lewis Dodd 66), 8 Cameron Stuart (C), 9 Danny Davidson, 10 Jerome Murdock (BRandon Blankley 80), 11 Ryan Robbins. Subs not used: 14 Sam Carline, 17 Anton Astley, 22 Chris Gibson (GK)

Ilkeston: 1 Ashley Timms, 2 Chris Jones, 3 Ryan Wilson, 4 Laurie Wilson, 5 Dan Partridge, 6 Ellis Storey, 7 Jack Watts, 8 Matt Richards (c), 9 Gary Ricketts (Adam Somes 32), 10 Daryll Thomas, 11 Dion Chambers

Subs not used:Joe Wilcox, James Reid, Russell Peel, Michael Williams, Ryan Osborne, Chris Martin

by Mark Duffy