MATCH REPORT: Ilkeston 0 Warrington Town 2

Ilkeston fc v Sutton Coldfield. number 11 Brandon Clarke.
Ilkeston fc v Sutton Coldfield. number 11 Brandon Clarke.

If ever a game summed up Ilkeston’s predicament it was this one.

A couple of shots on target were as good as it got for the Robins in a horrendous encounter, visitors Warrington barely having to get out of second gear to win it.

A red card midway through the second-half did the Robins few favours but their passing was poor throughout, their workrate not as good as in many games this season and their passion for the fight lacking on this occasion.

New players remain desperately needed but show little sign of arriving despite Shaun Goater’s best efforts, and relegation remains a certainty if an incredible turnaround doesn’t start to even look like materialising soon.

And with other results again doing them little in the way of favours, even a few victories might not be enough to save them.

Luis Rose had the first opening five minutes in after some good work on the edge of the penalty area, his low shot gathered by keeper Anthony McMillan.

Warrington’s Ruben Jerome then should really have scored when a cross from the left found him six yards out but he volleyed wide with only the keeper to beat.

Rose went close again on 14, Max Thornberry’s fine crossfield pass volleyed wide of goal from 15 yards out, Danny Ventre firing low at Eve as Warrington responded and Adam Carden’s 30-yarder flying just too high.

The Robins were too frequently gifting possession to their visitors which frustrated the home fans, although Danny Gordon nearly cheered them up with a 25-yard strike which McMillan had to tip around the post.

Brandon Clarke fired too high moments later as Ilkeston began to get something of a foothold in the game, but the sides would get to the break all square.

The second-half was as dull as it gets for its opening 20 minutes, neither team creating a chance until a double whammy struck the hosts midway through.

First, Ruben Jerome won the ball and headed towards goal only to be brought down by Thornberry who was the last man, referee Aaron Bannister left with little choice but to send him off.

From the free-kick just outside the box, James McCarten’s shot was blocked as far as Jerome whose strike was pushed againt the post by Eve but the ball rolled along the line and sub Connor McCarthy tapped it home unchallenged.

The game then dropped back into its lull as Ilkeston failed to create anything going forward and Warrington seemed happy to play at a leisurely pace.

The monotony was broken with the visitors’ second goal with two minutes left. Dylan Vassallo broke clear down the right and when he got to the byline he was able to pull the ball back to McCarthy who scored another tap in.

Ilkeston: 1 Dale Eve, 2 Max Thornberry, 3 Charlie Scanlon, 4 Dante Leverock, 5 Matt Baker (c), 6 Jaylon Bather, 7 Luis Rose, 8 Danny Gordon, 9 Anthony Dwyer (Dexter Atkinson 82), 10 Ben Morris (Ryan Head 82), 11 Brandon Clarke

Subs not used: Reece Horne, Tom Gamblen, Jamie Hannis

Warrington: 1 Anthony McMillan, 2 Adam Carden, 3 Josh Asken, 4 Sean Williams, 5 James McCarron, 6 Evan Gumbs, 7 Scott Harries (Dylan Vassallo 74), 8 Danny Ventre, 9 Dan Hattersley (Connor McCarthy 56), 10 Ruben Jerome, 11 Michael Monaghan (Lewis Codling 82)

Subs not used: Will Smart, John Shaw

Ref: Aaron Bannister

Att: 293

Star Robin: Danny Gordon