Ilkeston FC chairman Nigel Harrop says talks are ongoing with regard to the takeover of the troubled club.
Players and staff haven’t been paid since December, with other debts also understood to be hanging over the relegated Robins.
Harrop opted not to talk on the record to the Advertiser this week due to the ongoing nature of the negotiations which he says are taking place, but says he will comment as soon as a deal is done that he feels is best for the club’s future.
The Advertiser understands through an independent source that bids are on the table both from individuals and businesses keen to take over the running of the club, although it is unclear what part any remaining debts could yet play in scuppering any takeover.
Harrop has previously stated that wages cannot be paid until any takeover is complete.
Following relegation, two more defeats followed over the Easter weekend as they lost 3-0 at Nantwich Town and then 1-0 at home to Mickleover Sports.
They were due to travel to Workington on Wednesday night for a fixture rearranged from April 1, that game having been postponed due to Ilkeston’s players refusing to travel. They will round off the campaign at Ashton United on Saturday.
Skipper Matt Baker, meanwhile, was named as the Ilkeston FC Supporters Group Player of the Year after Monday’s game for the second season running.
Speaking to fans after receiving the award, Baker said: “It’s been a difficult campaign to say the least, and while I’m honoured to receive this I think the whole team and staff deserve great credit for sticking with it and carrying on.
“I’ve played here with older players and I doubt they’d have persevered to the extent this young team has and I hope it makes them stronger as their careers progress.”