REPORT: Ilkeston Town 1-6 York City

Ilkeston celebrate the opening goal. Photo by Craig Lamont.
Ilkeston celebrate the opening goal. Photo by Craig Lamont.

Ilkeston's final pre-season friendly ended in defeat on Friday night but they can take plenty of positives despite the scoreline.

York showed their quality throughout and it was clear their team full of experienced professionals would prove too strong once they'd recovered from going an early goal down.

The Robins showed good quality in the first-half in particular and there remains plenty of cause to be optimistic just eight days from the start of the new campaign.

Former Robins loanee Jake Wright missed the target with an early close range header inside the first minute, before a good break from the hosts ended with Tom Marshall’s shot being deflected just wide.

It was a lively start to the game and Jordan Burrow then curled an effort wide of the post on 13 minutes for the visitors.

But the opener came on 18 minutes and it went to the Robins. Tom Marshall's free-kick from deep to the back post was headed back across goal by a defender and Malachi Lavelle-Moore was able to get in front of his man and nod the ball past Adam Bartlett in the City goal.

Alex Kempster then put a good chance high over the top at the other end from close range, before York levelled on 23 minutes when Wright controlled the ball well 30 yards out before running on and firing low past Liam Mitchell into the bottom corner.

Tim Hopkinson scuffed an effort wide during a promising Ilkeston attack on the half-hour mark, while at the other end Wes York's long range strike was also wayward after a free-kick was cleared to him.

Burrow then forced Mitchell into a good save with a header which was tipped round the post, but from the resultant short corner, Simon Heslop received the ball and hammered in a fine strike from 25 yards out.

And a minute later it was 3-1, as Burrow's shot was parried by Mitchell and Kempster followed up to tap in the rebound for a two-goal half-time advantage.

It took just four minutes of the second-half for the Minstermen to get another, a well-worked move down the left ending with Wright heading home Kempster's cross from six yards out despite the best efforts of sub keeper Jamie Hannis - the Robins having made seven changes in total at the break.

York then won a penalty three minutes later as Tom Marshall brought down Wright, Burrow putting the penalty low to Hannis's left and into the net via the inside of the post.

More substitutions from each side affected any flow the match had and it became a more subdued affair, Ilkeston still working hard to reduce the deficit and York largely content to take their foot off the gas.

Colbey Shepherd fired low into the net late on to get York's sixth which was a touch harsh on the Robins, but the full-time visitors had showed their quality and will be much-fancied this season.

Ilkeston: 1 Liam Mitchell (Jamie Hannis 46), 2 Lavell White, 3 Billy Bennett (Jordan Wheatley 70), 4 Ryan Wheatley, 6 Tom Marshall, 7 Ben Fairclough (Scott Bailey 46), 8 Tim Hopkinson (Alex Marshall 46), 10 Malachi Lavelle-Moore (Ryan Whitehurst 46), 11 Jamie Walker (Ben Morris 46), 21 Shaun Rickford (Conor Green 46), 22 Elliot Hodgett-Young (Charlie Jemson 46)

York: 1 Adam Bartlett, 2 Kallum Griffiths, 3 Sean Newton (Dan Parslow 60), 4 Hamza Bencherif, 5 Joe Tait (David Ferguson 60), 6 Russ Penn (Josh Law 69), 7 Wes York (Adriano Moke), 8 Simon Heslop, 9 Jordan Burrow (Macaulay Langstaff 60), 10 Jake Wright (Jon Parkin 60), 11 Alex Kempster

Sub not used: Ryan Whitley

Ref: Martin Beard

Att: 653