REPORT/SLIDESHOW - Robins steal dramatic late win

Buxton 1 Ilkeston FC 2

Two goals by Gary Ricketts in second-half stoppage time saw Ilkeston snatch victory from the jaws of defeat at Buxton on Bank Holiday Monday.

The home side had played the final half-an-hour with only nine men after strikers Scott Maxfield and Lee Morris were sent off within minutes of each other early in the second-half.

That meant a simple case of attack versus defence was how the final third of the game was played out, a battle the Bucks were winning right until the final stages of the match.

After a lively start from both sides that saw Buxton’s Derek Niven strike a post and Ilkeston’s Chris Palmer have a free-kick palmed away by veteran Bucks keeper Andy Warrington, the home side took the lead on 11 minutes when Morris got in the way of Niven’s low shot and tucked the loose ball away after it fell kindly to him.

After Tim Ryan’s free-kick was inches away from making it 2-0, the Robins took control of proceedings as James Reid’s long-range effort hit the inside of a post and rolled across goal, Ricketts and Joe Maguire both forced Warrington into good saves and Reid twice more went close before the break.

The dynamic of the game changed on 56 minutes when, after some handbags on the touchline, Maxfield saw red for his alleged role in proceedings.

Three minutes later, Morris joined him in the dressing room after being ruled to have stamped on Laurie Wilson, a decision video replays showed to have been somewhat harsh.

From then on the Robins threw everything at Buxton with frustratingly little success, although Warrington was in great form to deny Ricketts, Maguire and Aaron Webster, while Callum Chettle was inches wide from distance.

But just as it seemed all hope was lost, a long ball pumped forward landed on Webster’s head and after Warrington had saved Ricketts poked home the rebound.

That was three minutes into stoppage time, and 90 seconds later Ricketts snatched the points as he met Reid’s corner with a powerful header 12 yards out that found the roof of the net and sent the visiting fans into delirium.

Monday, August 26, 2013:

Buxton: 1 Andy Warrington 2 Grant Black 3 Jamie Green 4 Steve Istead (c) 5 Jack Broadhead 6 Tim Ryan (Ash Palmer 23) 7 Neil Stevens (Leon Osborne 52) 8 Derek Niven 9 Lee Morris 10 Scott Maxfield 11 Craig King. Subs not used: Mark Reed, Matt Thornhill, Charlie Johnson.

Ilkeston: 1 Rob Peet 2 Rob Kozluk 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Laurie Wilson (c) 5 Aaron Webster 6 Joe Maguire 7 Kane Richards (Jason Stokes 68) 8 James Reid 9 Gary Ricketts 10 Antwan Russell (Rai Simons 68) 11 Chris Palmer (Callum Chettle 68). Subs not used: Matt Baker, Danny Gordon

Att: 414 Ref: A Clayton (Hyde)

Star Robin: Gary Ricketts

report by Mark Duffy

All photos by Rob Stephenson (