Robins ease through with a magnificent seven

Laurie Wilson prepares to stroke home from the penalty spot to make it 2-0. Photo by Rob Stephenson.
Laurie Wilson prepares to stroke home from the penalty spot to make it 2-0. Photo by Rob Stephenson.

Ilkeston FC 7 Heanor Town 0

Ilkeston FC returned to action in some style on Tuesday night by easing past Heanor Town to reach the Derbyshire Senior Cup semi-finals.

The Robins hadn’t played for nearly two-and-a-half weeks and that was reflected in the strong line-up picked by manager Kevin Wilson, who was keen to give his first choice side some vital match practice.

And despite Heanor’s best efforts they ultimately had little answer to Ilkeston’s quality.

The visitors actually had the first effort of note when Lee Stevenson’s long-range effort was deflected and then parried by keeper Chris Martin, but it wouldn’t be long before the opening goal came for the hosts.

Just four minutes in, Aaron Hooton was fouled on the edge of the penalty area and when Laurie Wilson’s free-kick was weakly parried by keeper Damien Clark, Jack Watts pounced to slide home from a couple of yards out.

It was 2-0 on 12 minutes when after Gary Ricketts had been fouled in the penalty area by former Ilkeston Town man Richie Holmes, Laurie Wilson stepped up to score easily from the spot.

The lively Tom Cooper-Richards nearly pulled one back when after chasing a long ball he lobbed it over the onrushing Martin but in stretching to convert the dropping ball he couldn’t quite get it on target and his effort fell just wide.

And it would prove costly as Ilkeston effectively killed the game as a contest on 21 minutes. Watts’ corner was cleared to Laurie Wilson on the edge of the penalty area and his shot took a big deflection off Joe Maguire which diverted the ball past Clark and into the net.

That was the end of the first-half scoring but opportunities still came, veteran Neil Grayson’s overhead kick gathered well by Martin on 25 minutes and then Hooton poking wide after beatin his man four minutes later.

Laurie Wilson was close again before the break when his header from namesake Ryan’s cross was cleared off the line.

More opportunities came after the interval, one of which saw Heanor’s Dwayne Wiley produce an impressive party trick as his long range strike bounced off the top of the crossbar twice before being caught by Martin.

Hooton saw a shot saved and another hit the post but goal four arrived on the hour, Ricketts’ looping header glanced in at the far post by sub James Reid as the ball dropped from the sky.

The fifth owed great credit to full-back Dan Partridge whose trickery down the right ended with him pulling the ball back to Watts who stroked it home.

Indeed, Watts was keen to try and claim his hat-trick from the spot on 77 minutes when Reid was fouled by Holmes for the second penalty of the night, but despite some squabbling over who would take the kick it was Reid who pulled rank and hammered high into the net.

And the final nail came with three minutes left as Hooton firstly saw a shot saved by Clark but was able to nod the rebound home from two yards out to compete Heanor’s misery.

Tuesday, January 28, 2013

Ilkeston: 1 Chris Martin 2 Dan Partridge 3 Rob Kozluk 4 Laurie Wilson 5 Joe Maguire 6 Russell Cooke 7 Jack Watts 8 Ryan Wilson (Greg Pearson 73) 9 Gary Ricketts (c) (Alex Ford 61) 10 Aaron Hooton 11 Matt Richards (James Reid 50). Subs not used: James Cullingworth, Dereece Gardner

Scorers: Watts 4, 68, L Wilson 12pen, Maguire 21, Reid 60, 77pen, Hooton 87

Heanor: 1 Damien Clark 2 Kyle Bryant (Adam Barrett 55) 3 Jason Foster 4 Jordan Hall 5 Richie Holmes 6 Nico De Girolamo (c) 7 Dwayne Wiley 8 Lee Stevenson (Josh Thomas 73) 9 Neil Grayson (Gary Webster 66) 10 Tom Cooper-Richards 11 Stef Frost. Sub not used: Daniel Fields

Att: 158 Ref: N Hopton Star Robin: Jack Watts

by Mark Duffy