Robins ease to win and make it eight unbeaten

Joe Maguire heads home the opening goal against Frickley. Photo by Rob Stephenson.
Joe Maguire heads home the opening goal against Frickley. Photo by Rob Stephenson.

Ilkeston FC 4 Frickley Athletic 2

Ilkeston FC made it eight league games unbeaten on Saturday as they eased past poor travellers Frickley at the New Manor Ground.

The visitors had lost all of their previous away games and rarely looked like ending that sequence, particularly once they’d fallen two behind inside seven minutes.

And although the number of goals flattered the quality of the game, Ilkeston did enough to lift themselves to tenth in the table.

The first ten minutes certainly kept everyone on their toes as three goals found the net in a breathless opening.

First, on three minutes, Jack Watts’ corner was flicked on by Gary Ricketts at the near post and Joe Maguire stooped to head home from four yards out and put Ilkeston ahead.

Four minutes later it was 2-0 as Maguire’s long ball found Ricketts running into space and he took the ball wide of defence and goalkeeper before sliding it home.

It looked as if the Robins were in for a goal-fest but suddenly Frickley got back into the game within 90 seconds.

Liam Hardy burst forward but was brought down by keeper Chris Martin as he went away from goal, Gavin Allott slotting home the penalty with aplomb.

The goals then dried up for a while but opportunities to score them didn’t.

Watts hit a half volley straight at keeper Darren Shirt on 16 minutes, Matt Richards was just wide from distance and Aaron Hooton’s dipping volley was pushed over by Shirt on 22 minutes.

Laurie Wilson also went close with a shot deflected wide, while at the other end Frickley weren’t offering much until Hardy cut inside but hit his shot high and wide.

Richards saw a free-kick from out wide drop just over the bar on 32 minutes, but the third Ilkeston goal was to finally arrive four minutes before half-time.

Martin’s free-kick from just inside his own half resulted in a game of head tennis in the penalty area as Frickley tried, and failed, to clear their lines, the ball eventually falling to Hooton ten yards out who volleyed powerfully into the top corner of thenet.

There was still time for Hardy and Jimmy Ghaichem to go close before the break for Frickley but the comfortable half-time lead belonged to the hosts.

The second-half started brightly with Richards and Allott both seeing shots saved and Darren Stimpson heading a Frickley corner wide when unmarked.

But the fourth Ilkeston goal came on 58 from the penalty spot after Ricketts was bundled over in the area, Maguire doing the honours with ease.

The game then mellowed for the remainder although Athletic registered another goal on 73 minutes, Allott initially flagged offside after netting the rebound from a Martin block but the decision being overturned by the referee.

Allott missed a great chance for a hat-trick on 77 when he put the ball wide from six yards out which, had he scored, could have led to a nervous finish for the hosts, but ultimately they had enough in the tank to see themselves to three more points.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ilkeston: 1 Chris Martin 2 Dan Partridge 3 Steven Smith (Rob Kozluk 57) 4 Laurie Wilson 5 Joe Maguire 6 Russell Cooke 7 Jack Watts 8 Ryan Wilson 9 Gary Ricketts (c) 10 Aaron Hooton (Alex Ford 80) 11 Matt Richards (James Reid 82). Subs not used: Dereece Gardner, Greg Pearson

Scorers: Maguire 3, 58pen, Ricketts 7, Hooton 41

Frickley: 1 Darren Shirt 2 Steve Gardner 3 Chris Fisher 4 Jake Picton 5 Dave Buck (Luke Jeffs 24) 6 Danny Stimpson 7 Chris Howarth (Jason Yates 75) 8 Matty Bloor (c) 9 Liam Hardy 10 Gavin Allott (Chris Wood 87) 11 Jimmy Ghaichem. Subs not used: Luke Hinsley, Zack Levers

Scorers: Allott 9pen, 73

Att: 433 Ref: G Taylor Star Robin: Joe Maguire

by Mark Duffy