Robins mark first birthday in style

Ilkeston FC's Ryan Wilson (right) is challenged against Newcastle.
Ilkeston FC's Ryan Wilson (right) is challenged against Newcastle.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Evo-Stik Division One South


Adam Colton 59

Daryll Thomas 64

Tyrell Waite 82pen


by Mark Duffy

IT’S often the case with birthday parties that they take about an hour to get going before finally jumping into full swing.

And so it was that Ilkeston FC’s players marked the club’s first anniversary with what was eventually a comfortable three points against Newcastle Town, who carried a threat throughout but ultimately didn’t have the stamina to cope with the hosts’ superior quality.

In fact it was they who had the first opening in just the second minute when Kyle Diskin’s corner from the left was headed inches wide by Anthony Malbon from six yards out, a chance he should really have converted.

The hosts’ first notable effort on goal arrived in the ninth minute, when Liam Green teed up Ryan Wilson 25 yards out but his powerful strike was tipped over by Dave Parton in the Newcastle goal.

Joe Wilcox saw a shot deflected wide from Adam Colton’s resultant corner, and from the next one Gary Ricketts headed past the post.

Joe Maguire had to be alert on 19 minutes, when Malbon’s driven cross from the left looked dangerous but the Robins central defender managed to deflect it over the bar ahead of Dave Whittaker who was waiting to pounce.

Curtis Price had an effort from the edge of the penalty area drift too high 28 minutes in, and five minutes later Green was inches over the top with a side-footed effort after the ball broke to him 18 yards out.

Newcastle defender Adam Bayley got up highest to head over from Diskin’s corner on 39, before Ricketts again used his aerial power to good use but his header from James Cullingworth’s excellent cross from the right just cleared the crossbar.

Diskin drilled a 30-yard half volley over the top with the first opening in the second-half, but the opening goal was to finally arrive for the hosts on 59 minutes.

Daryll Thomas somehow managed to send Ricketts through on goal despite being on the ground at the time, and the veteran striker ran through and got round Parton only to see his shot blocked on the line by a combination of two defenders.

Fortunately for the Robins, Colton was following up and he blasted the ball home from eight yards out for his second goal of the season.

And Colton was instrumental in the second goal five minutes later after good work from Wilcox, though he probably meant to score it rather than inadvertently miscue his shot into the path of Thomas who couldn’t miss from six yards out.

Matt Richards was next to mis-hit a shot but he wasn’t as fortunate as to create a goal with it, instead seeing his right foot shot from a good position fly well over the top.

The Robins were now dominating but Newcastle were still a good unit going forward, dangerman Malbon sent clear on 77 minutes but lobbing his effort over Ben Gathercole’s crossbar.

But the game was finally killed off with eight minutes left.

Newcastle sub Jack Lane’s first action was to pull back Robins replacement Tyrell Waite as he burst through on goal. Only a yellow card was issued, seemingly because Waite had still got a shot in on goal, but the youngster wasn’t to be denied as he confidently struck the spot-kick into the corner of the net.

There was still time for Malbon to strike the post after again running through on goal, the ball striking Maguire’s hand on its way clear but the offence going unpunished and the final whistle sounding soon afterwards.

Ilkeston: 1 Ben Gathercole 2 James Cullingworth 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Liam Green 5 Josh Hill 6 Joe Maguire 7 Joe Wilcox (Ashley Robinson 84) 8 Adam Colton 9 Gary Ricketts (Josh Wisdom 87) 10 Daryll Thomas (c) (Tyrell Waite 75) 11 Matt Richards

Subs not used: Dan Partridge, Aaron Butcher (GK)

Att: 571

Ref: Joe Clarke

Star Man: Liam Green