Foxes’ quality shines through against Robins

editorial image

This encounter ultimately proved to every bit be Premier League against Northern Premier League but Ilkeston can once again add a game of this sort to the ‘good experience’ category.

Leicester brought their first-team squad to the New Manor Ground on Tuesday and their quality was unsurprisingly too much for the Robins although Kevin Wilson’s men at least tried to pass the ball around and for half-an-hour of this game didn’t look too out of their depth against far superior opposition.

The visitors eventually turned the screw with two goals each side of half-time hammering the nails in and two further strikes late on adding the seal.

It was Leicester’s first pre-season game of the summer and aimed at giving 22 of their players 45 minutes each to blow the cobwebs away.

They dominated possession throughout although when Ilkeston got the ball in the early stages they zipped it around well without creating any real openings.

Marc Albrighton and Gary Taylor-Fletcher were a particular threat for Leicester early on, Albrighton firing straight at keeper Jordan Smith and Taylor-Smith shooting over the top and also seeing an effort cleared off the line by Joe Maguire.

Ilkeston had a reasonable shout for a penalty when Kane Richards appeared to be fouled by James Pearson but the referee wasn’t interested.

The opening goal then eventually came on 34 minutes when Taylor-Fletcher put the ball into the six-yard box following a corner and Wes Morgan flicked the ball towards goal where it just about crossed the line before being cleared.

The second came just before half-time when Pearson, son of Foxes boss Nigel, got to the byline and crossed well for Chris Wood whose looping header left Smith with little chance.

There was still time for Ilkeston’s James Reid to give Kasper Schmeichel some rare work to do right on the break, his low shot straight at the Foxes keeper.

Leicester changed their entire team at half-time but their fortunes remained the same, indeed it took just 41 seconds for the third goal to arrive when David Nugent, who had already put a shot into the car park since the half started, this time placed a shot into the corner of the net following Liam Watson’s corner.

Eight minutes later it was 4-0 as Anthony Knockaert fed Tom Hopper and he beat sub keeper Ross Atkins from 12 yards out.

So many substitutions meant the contest barely resembled that of the first-half and Nugent and Dean Hammond both tested Atkins before the fifth goal arrived on 79 minutes, Nugent this time able to beat Atkins from close range.

It was then 6-0 on 84 minutes as Richie De Laet crossed from the right and Laurie Wilson turned the ball into his own net.#

Ilkeston hadn’t created much in front of goal but did manage to register in the final minute when Chey Adams’ shot was fumbled by Ben Hamer and trialist Andre Johnson followed in to tidy up and put the ball in the net to at least round things off with a cheer for the Robins.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014:

Ilkeston: 1 Jordan Smith (Ross Atkins 46) 2 Luke Shaw (Matt Baker 46) 3 James Reid (Curtis Burrows 46) 4 Akil Wright (Laurie Wilson 46) 5 Joe Maguire (Kieran Wallace 46) 6 Jack Lane (Andrew Dales 59) 7 David Morgan (Eli Bako 46) 8 Callum Chettle (Danny Gordon 46) 9 Rob Duffy (Courey Grantham 46, Goran Seymour 70, Andre Johnson 75) 10 Kane Richards (Joel Grandison 46) 11 Mike Williams (Che Adams 46)

Leicester: 1 Kasper Schmeichel (Ben Hamer 46) 2 James Pearson (Richie De Laet 46) 3 Paul Konchesky (Jeff Schlupp 46) 4 Matty James (Marcin Wasilewski 46) 5 Wes Morgan (Liam Moore 46) 6 Alie Sesay (Ryan Watson 46) 7 Jack Barmby (Danny Drinkwater 46) 8 Gary Taylor-Fletcher (Anthony Knockaert 46) 9 Chris Wood (David Nugent 46) 10 Andy King (Tom Hopper 46) 11 Marc Albrighton (Dean Hammond 46)

Report by Mark Duffy (Twitter - @DuffersSport)