Hallam’s promotion hopes dealt a blow by Darley Dale

On a drizzly and miserable Saturday the firsts made the journey to Darley Dale and upon arrival Tommy Lockhart yet again managed to lose the toss and found his team asked to bat first.

The wicket wasn’t the greatest but the Hallam innings got off to a painfully slow start with the Dale attack firmly in the driving seat.

When Hallam lost the first wicket with the score at 32 the innings crumbled to a dismal 104 all out.

Hallam have Jack Porter and Dave Ince to thank for even making the 100 mark as they batted well to score 12 and 14 respectively.

The ever confident Lockhart knew himself that even though the track wasn’t particularly good his batsmen had failed him and left the bowlers with an almost impossible task.

This didn’t stop them having a good go, Tingle and Hill opened bowled good areas in taking one wicket a piece.

Angad Singh and Lockhart then replaced the two openers and Singh found the right spot snatching four wickets and Lockhart got one.

Despite this valiant effort Dale managed to sneak past the 104 target seven wickets down in the 44th over.

This loss comes at a crucial time in the promotion chase and Hallam will need to bounce back this weekend when they face Morton on Saturday and Chesterfield on Sunday.

Second XI

Whilst the first team travelled to Darley Dale, Dale’s second eleven made the opposite journey to Cock Orchard.

In a reversal of fortune Hallam captain Jeff Lockhart won the toss and Dale were inserted.

James North started well for Hallam bagging three wickets for just 33 runs, however this was merely a supporting act with the Darley Dale batsmen unable to deal with the wily Rob Goulding who ripped through Dale taking 6 for 48 as the visitors were bowled out for 157 in the 45th over.

Hallam’s reply didn’t start well with Clarkson, Wainman and Haggerty all falling without troubling the scorers, but when Chris Boyles joined opener Oliver Hubbard in the middle a partnership was formed that would put Hallam back in the game and within sight of victory.

Boyles was cruelly run out for a fine 25 and with light fading fast Lockhart opted to play his joker in the pack and elevate North up the order to try and find some quick runs.

This nearly proved to be a master-stroke with North striking the ball magnificently, but with Hallam on 120-4 the game was abandoned due to the poor light conditions.

Hubbard was still at the crease having played superbly for an unbeaten 61.

Whilst Lockhart will have been disappointed to not have won the game he was quick to point out to his players that if they hadn’t have wasted time in the field then they might have had an extra 20 minutes of batting which could have been the difference.

Third XI

Hallam’s third team didn’t even have to leave the village for their away game as they visited local rivals Nutbrook.

Roy Ling won the toss and asked Nutbrook to bat first, a good choice as Luke Thompson took advantage of an indifferent wicket to destroy the Nutbrook top order, recording the impressive figures of 5-6 from seven overs.

Mikey Noon also chipped in with two wickets as Nutbrook were bundled out for a mere 39.

Hallam lost four wickets chasing the low target but the result was never in doubt as Ling sat back and watched his team complete the rout of their rivals.