High-flyers are held as Nutbrook bat well

Share this article

Nutbrook’s first XI travelled to unbeaten Alrewas on Saturday with two regular players absent but managed to come away with a losing draw.

Skipper Steve Sanderson won the toss and put the hosts into bat but that turned out to be a mistake as openers James Burton and Andrew Woolley tore into Nutbrook’s bowlers, amassing 85 in the first eight overs - captain Burton hitting Max Magann for 23 in the Australian’s fifth over.

The first wicket fell in the 16th over when Andy Farmer caught Woolley behind off the bowling of Rich Henshaw for 27 to leave the home side 121-1.

Burton’s innings then ended in the 20th over when Harry Duckles caught him out on the boundary, also off the bowling of Henshaw, for 77.

A third wicket stand of 42 saw Alrewas reach 186-3 in the 31st over and things looked bad for Nutbrook at this stage, but good bowling by spinners Duckles and Henshaw halted their run flow and wickets fell steadily.

The innings ended in the 46th over with Henshaw ending on 6 for 42 from 14 overs, assisted by Duckles with 3 for 48 from ten as Nutbrook got five bowling points.

Nutbrook were without usual opener Chris Palfreyman so Harry Cooke stepped in at the top of the order.

The first wicket fell in the fifth over when Danny Brooks was bowled for five to leave the visitors 15-1, and Cooke then followed for ten in the 11th over.

Henshaw and Adam Barrett then went quickly to leave the score 66-4 before Magann, who scored 27, skipper Sanderson and Matt Wakefield got together to put on 73 priceless runs before Sanderson was out for 36 in the 30th over.

At 139-6 Alrewas surely thought they were home and dry but Wakefield and young Jack Brewer had other ideas and even against star bowler Ollie Broadway they put on 57 for the sevent wicket, a stand which ended in the final over when Brewer was out for two priceless runs.

Wakefield ended 77 not out as Nutbrook claimed 12 points from the encounter.

Nutbrook seconds welcomed back wicket keeper John Wilson after a finger injury for their bottom-of-the-league clash with Marehay thirds who won the toss and asked Nutbrook to bat.

Runs were hard to come by with only four batsmen reaching double figures - Ben Eaton with 21, Jonny Taylor 18 and Mark Witham and Geo Magdalone getting 14 each, helped by 19 extras.

They reached 115 all out in the 45 overs, John Longdon getting five wickets for the visitors who claimed five LBWs during their spell of bowling.

Marehay struggled against Nutbrook’s bowlers with only Aidan Marsh scoring well with 47.

Nutbrook’s bowlers held the upper hand throughout with Ben Dawes leading the way with four wickets from 12 overs.

Chris Goring took 3 for 26 and Magdalone 2 for 6 from two overs, helped by Witham’s 1 for 27.

Marehay’s innings ended in the 40th over with the score on 103 to give Nutbrook 27 points and lift them above their opponents in the league.

Nutbrook’s thirds were well beaten by 140 runs at home to Eckington who batted first and scored 299-5 declared, H Smith’s 116 not out and B Holman’s 52 the highlights.

Nutbrook fell well short of the target as they were bowled out for 159.

Shipley Hall

Shipley Hall CC firsts faded badly at home to Derby Congs last Saturday when, after a sound start thanks to batsmen Neil Cox (68) and Eoin Bowley (46) they slipped to defeat.

Apart from a lusty 19 by Ryan North, the remaining batsmen failed to reach double figures except David Farnsworth who scored 11.

Shipley only mustered 178 all out with Singh taking 5-76 and Hussain 4-45.

When Derby Congs batted they were soon in trouble against the in-form Matt Murfin and they slumped to 25-5 with Murfin taking four of the wickets.

Shipley scented victory but it was then that A Jari (47) and A Singh (45) established their superiority over the Shipley bowlers.

A Addy (32 not out) and Kaeeem (15) comfortably took their team to victory, leaving Shipley to gain just seven points.