Ilkeston ease past Dronfield in Derbyshire Senior Cup encounter

ILKESTON made comfortable progress into the next round of the Derbyshire Senior Cup on a freezing Tuesday night at the New Manor Ground.

Derbyshire Senior Cup 3R


Adam Colton 27

Russell Peel 70

Andrew Osei-Siribour 82

Tyrell Waite 90+9


Andy Gange 87pen

by Mark Duffy

ILKESTON made comfortable progress into the next round of the Derbyshire Senior Cup on a freezing Tuesday night at the New Manor Ground.

It was the new Robins’ first ever tie in the competition and gave Kevin Wilson an opportunity to field some of his fringe players against a side doing well in their own league - 11 changes made from Saturday’s defeat to Grantham.

John Doran had a couple of efforts go close early on for Dronfield, before Tyrell Waite was sent through on goal by a clearance but instead of taking a clear chance on his left foot, he turned back onto his right and his shot was blocked away for a corner.

Brett Gibbons found the side netting following a corner for the visitors, who despite Ilkeston’s dominance were keen to get forward and create chances.

Andrew Osei-Siribour was next to show on 26 with a shot wide from Ashley Robinson’s cross, but it was to be Ilkeston’s lead a minute later when Osei-Siribour pulled the ball back for Adam Colton to drive a low shot into the net.

Osei-Siribour was in action again when fed through down the inside left channel. He cut inside and curled an effort at the far corner but it was just wide.

Joe Wilcox too was wide on 40 minutes as the hosts remained in control, and Gibbons missed another great chance in the opening minute of hte second-half with a shot just wide of the pos following a corner.

The most accurate shot of the night was one which left referee Alan Park flat out on the turf after he was hit square in the face by a volleyed clearance.

He rather groggily left the field and the game was delayed for ten minutes while a new official was found. Academy player and qualified official Matt Baker did the honours.

Waite drove an effort at keeper Nick Siddons when play resumed, but it was the 70th minute, or realistically the 60th given the delay, when the Robins got their second.

Darren Caskey’s free-kick was cleared as far as Russell Peel on the edge of the penalty area and he fired in a right-foot shot which went through Siddons on its way into the net.

Goal three came when Caskey sent a long ball forward which seemed to catch in the wind as Siddons came out to clear, Osei-Siribour capitalising to win a challenge with the Dronfield keeper, take control and fire in a shot which beat a defender on the line.

Dronfield found a way back in when John Perkins was clumsily fouled when through on goal by Gerome Palmer, the Robins man lucky to escape with a yellow card. Andy Gange netted the spot-kick.

But the win was completed in the ninth minute of time added on, when Wilcox pulled the ball back for Waite to finish high into the net.

Ilkeston: 1 Scott Low 2 Joe Wilcox 3 Liam Green 4 Adam Colton 5 Gerome Palmer 6 Dan Partridge 7 Ashley Robinson 8 Darren Caskey 9 Andrew Osei-Siribour (Jack Watts 83) 10 Tyrell Waite 11 Russell Peel Subs not used: James Cullingworth, Joe Maguire, Gary Ricketts, Daryll Thomas.

Att: 108 Ref: Alan Parker

Star Robin: Darren Caskey