Mixed Bank Holiday for high-flying United

Elliot King prepares to fire in the second goal for Long Eaton United against Scarborough on Saturday.
Elliot King prepares to fire in the second goal for Long Eaton United against Scarborough on Saturday.
Share this article

Long Eaton took a fine win and a frustrating defeat from their Bank Holiday programme but still hold fifth spot in the NCEL Premier Division table.

On Saturday, United overcame fellow strong starters Scarborough Athletic at Grange Park.

Dominic Jones, Matt Savage and Jacob Webster were all prominent early on, ensuring Scarborough’s approach play remained fragmented and allowing United to profit from their early endeavours.

Consequently, with the game barely five minutes old, Kelvin Mushambi cleverly retained possession and drifted a pass into a congested penalty area that Elliot King connected with in acrobatic fashion to give United the lead.

The visitors made attempts to conjure up a quick riposte but they were met by some excellent defending from Mark Littlewood, Jordan Hunter and Jones.

In midfield, the spoiling style of United’s Shaun Rickford, Jimmy Hunter and Webster ensured that the potential threat from ‘Boro’s danger-man Ryan Blott was repeatedly thwarted.

Savage, King, and Jones all struck efforts that unsettled the Scarborough rearguard and Cameron Martin was working tirelessly as United’s target man.

After the interval there was expectation that the visitors would change their approach and attempt to put United under greater pressure but within two minutes of the restart King pulled himself away from the close attention of a number of Scarborough defenders to bear down on goal and coolly slot the ball past ‘keeper Steve Wilson, installing a deserved two-goal cushion for his side.

United continued to pose an attacking threat and Jimmy Hunter and Savage both went close to adding to the ‘Boro agony and a rasping drive from Jones fizzed inches off target after he eased his way past two defenders.

Scarborough tried manfully to inject some life into their attacking play and a decent header form Rob Hawkes flew just over Miles’ bar.

Late chances were carved out by both sides, with United substitute Danny Gordon going the closest, and Scott Miles making a superb diving save to end a pulsating ninety minutes for United and clearly a frustrating afternoon for the visitors.

United: Miles, Jordan Hunter, Littlewood, Jones, Jimmy Hunter, Webster (Joseph), King (Gordon), Mushambi, Savage (Perry), Rickford, Martin.

l On Monday, United pulled themselves back from 3-1 down at Hall Road Rangers only to then concede a last minute winner.

Paul Wilson’s double had put the hosts two up but Jimmy Hunter pulled a goal back on half-time.

Andy Coverdale made it 3-1 before Hunter (81) and Elliot King on 88 seemed to have earned a draw.

But Craig Suddaby popped up in the 90th minute and won it for the home side.