Report: Ilkeston 0-0 Buxton

editorial image
  • Robins held at home again
  • More points dropped in promotion hunt
  • Late pressure doesn’t pay off

Home has hardly been sweet for Ilkeston all season given the number of points they’ve dropped at the New Manor Ground and once again they were left frustrated on Saturday.

Buxton were resolute at the back and could well have won it themselves had they not missed some good openings in the second-half, but Ilkeston will see this as two more points dropped as they try to maintain their promotion push.

Indeed, many more off days at home and even a play-off spot might be beyond them by the end of the campaign.

James Reid was first to threaten with a free-kick from the edge of the area which had to be pushed over the bar by Bucks keeper Arron Jameson five minutes in.

The Robins were having most of the possession although over-playing outside their own penalty area threatened to be their undoing on a couple of occasions early on.

Mike Williams forced Jameson into another stop on 18 minutes as his volley was saved low down, Callum Chettle then striking straight at the keeper after a corner dropped his way on the edge of the penalty area.

But half-time arrived with very little more in the way of key incidents and the Robins perhaps more frustrated that they weren’t ahead.

Buxton began the second-half the brighter and Joe McGee should have scored early on when he received the ball in the penalty area but fired wide when in space.

Eddy Samba fired low at Jameson from outside the box moments later and then Williams fired wide when in space in a similar position.

Ilkeston’s defending was shaky at times and Buxton’s Ash Palmer fired a great chance wide just after the hour mark when Ilkeston had failed to clear a ball into the box with anything like the conviction required.

The visitors came even closer on 66 when a cross was fumbled by Jordan Smith but Alastair Taylor’s volley was down into the ground but headed off the line by Lawrence Gorman, McGee testing Smith again moments later but his shot being held at the second attempt.

Reid then fed Brad Fortnam-Tomlinson but on his weaker right foot he sliced wide of the target in what was one of the more promising Robins moves of the game, let alone the half.

Ilkeston rode their luck again when Bradley Barraclough’s shot deflected off Liam Hardy’s heal and into the hands of Smith rather than past him.

The hosts put a degree of pressure on towards the end, Reid with a free-kick straight at Jameson, but once again it would go down as another day of frustration at home for Kevin Wilson’s men.

Ilkeston: 1 Jordan Smith, 2 Joe Burgess (Danny Gordon 66), 3 James Reid, 4 Lawrence Gorman, 5 Joe Maguire (c), 6 Jack Lane, 7 David Morgan, 8 Callum Chettle, 9 Rob Duffy, 10 Eddy Samba (Brad Fortnam-Tomlinson 59), 11 Mike Williams

Subs not used: Matt Baker, Eli Bako, Curtis Burrows

Buxton: 1 Arron Jameson, 2 Stuart Ludlam, 3 Jamie Green, 4 Derek Niven (c) (Neil Stevens 82), 5 Ash Palmer, 6 Greg Taylor, 7 Alastair Taylor, 8 Joe McGee, 9 Shaun Tuton (Ash Burbeary 59), 10 Liam Hardy, 11 Bradley Barraclough

Subs not used: Rhys Meynell, Shamari Doyle, Tim Ryan

Ref: R Dadley

Att: 539

Star Robin: Jordan Smith