Report/slideshow: King’s Lynn Town 3-1 Ilkeston FC

Share this article

Four months ago, ten-man King’s Lynn recovered from 3-2 down with nine minutes left to win 4-3 at Ilkeston’s New Manor Ground.

This time, with the full complement of players but less time to do it, they decided to again stun the Robins by overturning a 1-0 deficit in the final six minutes at their own headquarters.

That was harsh on Ilkeston, who whilst guilty of throwing away a well-earned advantage by perhaps sitting too deep late on in proceedings, at least deserved a point from this game - a fact readily acknowledged by most of the Linnets’ fans and staff after the game.

It was, however, a third league defeat on the bounce for Kevin Wilson’s men and upcoming games against struggling sides will need to produce the goods if the Robins are to ensure they don’t also find themselves in a relegation fight.

The first-half of this game was awful. Tyrell Waite had a couple of openings early on for Ilkeston, one of those seeing him take too many touches when in on goal and allowing keeper Alex Street to gather.

Lynn’s best moment of the half saw Andy Hall’s overhead kick narrowly miss the far post, but that was really all there was to shout about before the break.

Things actually started to get more interesting when nobody was on the pitch. A heavy thunderstorm which had seen several games in its path either called off or abandoned elsewhere, inevitably arrived in West Norfolk and doused The Walks with a healthy bout of rain, hail, thunder and lightning.

Thankfully, the pitch stood up to the challenge, albeit only just, and after a slight delay to the start of the second-half the players recommenced proceedings as the rain continued.

The very squelchy and slippery pitch would make things more challenging throughout the second period but it at least livened up the entertainment.

James Reid twice saw efforts flash just wide for Ilkeston in the early stages, while Lynn’s David Bell and Rob Duffy also went close.

But the opener went to the Robins on 62 minutes and it was a fine goal.

Gary Ricketts dinked a pass over the top of the defence for Waite to run onto and, still with a fair bit to do, the youngster moved the ball to his left foot and arrowed an excellent finish into the top corner of the net.

Within moments, Robins keeper Ross Etheridge had to produce a stunning stop low down to tip Jake Jones’ effort around the post, but Lynn were generally struggling to make an impact in the final third.

Indeed, Laurie Wilson and Reid both nearly made it 2-0 but couldn’t find the desired finish.

Things all started to go wrong for Ilkeston on 87 minutes, as defender Fryatt crossed from the right and sub Charley Sanders knocked in the equaliser from six yards out.

Then, just as Robins fans began to think a point wouldn’t have been so bad after all, Sanders returned the favour to Fryatt with a cross into the box that the centre-half met with a low drive past Etheridge into the far corner on 89 minutes.

Ilkeston were shell-shocked, although they couldn’t legislate for the third goal in stoppage time - a dreadful decision seeing a very fair challenge by Joe Maguire instead result in a penalty being awarded, Duffy rolling home the spot-kick to seal a remarkable fightback and complete the Robins’ misery.

Saturday, January 25, 2014:

King’s Lynn: 1 Alex Street 2 Ryan Clarke (c) 3 Jordan Yong 4 Jason Lee 5 Ryan Fryatt 6 Jack McGovern (David Bell 46) 7 Andy Hall (Sam Mulready 68) 8 Dan Quigley 9 Rob Duffy 10 George Thomson (Charley Sanders 79) 11 Jake Jones. Subs not used: Gary Mills, Peter Bore

Ilkeston: 1 Ross Etheridge 2 Cheye Alexander (Akil Wright 60) 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Laurie Wilson (c) 5 Joe Maguire 6 Ellis Storey 7 Wilson Carvalho (Kane Richards 72) 8 Matt Richards 9 Gary Ricketts 10 Tyrell Waite (Marcel Barrington 79) 11 James Reid. Subs not used: Chey Adams, Callum Chettle

Att: 745 Ref: J Steel

Star Robin: Joe Maguire

Report by Mark Duffy (Twitter - @DuffersSport)

Photos by Craig Lamont (@MrBarfly)