REPORT: Stourbridge 1-2 Ilkeston FC

Dan Udoh celebreates scoring the equaliser. Photo by Craig Lamont.
Dan Udoh celebreates scoring the equaliser. Photo by Craig Lamont.

Ilkeston came away from the West Midlands with three points on Monday night thanks to goals from Dan Udoh and Dexter Atkinson.

It was Andy Watson’s second game in charge and it produced his second win, both of them achieved after coming from behind and both against sides who have started the season well.

The early pressure came from Stourbridge, the first chance coming when they were awarded a free-kick, but the Ilkeston wall held firm and the chance came to nothing.

Just after the 20 minute mark, Ilkeston were forced into a change when Jordan Wheatley picked up an injury and he was replaced by Charlie Coulson.

The first chance for Ilkeston came from Mike Williams. He battled to win the ball back in the Stourbridge half but saw his shot go the wrong side of the post.

On the 30 minute mark, a stroke of luck saw Stourbridge take the lead. Ben Billingham picked the ball up on the edge of the 18 yard box and rifled in a shot which took a deflection and past Ilkeston keeper Ross Durrant for Stourbridge to take the lead.

Ilkeston then started to increase their pressure on the Stourbridge defence.

Coulson lobbed the ball over the defence to Atkinson who in turn slid the ball into Eli Bako, but Bako couldn’t get his shot away and the chance disappeared.

Ilkeston were then awarded a free-kick after Atkinson’s run on goal was blocked, but the kick came to nothing as the Stourbridge defence cleared.

The second-half got under way with Ilkeston having the best of the chances.

Udoh had two chances in quick succession, first a shot that went just over and the second a header which the keeper did well to save.

At the other end, Durrant had to be aware as he saved from a Stourbridge free-kick.

Ilkeston were now taking hold of the game and piling the pressure on Stourbridge.

Udoh played a pass forward to Atkinson, who couldn’t quite get on the end of it, then Marcus Harness showed some brilliant footwork, twisting his man inside and out several times before firing in a shot from the edge of the penalty area and was unlucky to see it hit the foot of the post and away to safety.

Ilkeston were back on level terms on 65 minutes when Williams won the ball in the air, the ball fell to Udoh who did well to control it and fire it past keeper Lewis Solly for the equaliser.

Atkinson was the next to try to get in on the action when he chased a long ball only to be flattened by Solly, but the referee saw nothing wrong with the challenge and the chance was gone.

Ilkeston took the lead on 75 minutes from a well worked team goal.

Coulson beat his man on the wing, crossed to Udoh who found Matt Baker, Baker headed it to Atkinson and he fired in to give Ilkeston a deserved 2-1 lead.

As the minutes counted down, Stourbridge tried to put the Ilkeston defence under pressure again.

A shot from distance went high and wide, they then won a corner which was headed over, but ultimately Ilkeston held out to claim another impressive victory and move intot he top six.

Monday, October 19, 2015:

Stourbridge: 1 Lewis Solly 2 Kristian Green 3 Dan Scarr 4 Thomas Tonks 5 Brian Smikle 6 Stuart Pierpoint 7 Ben Billingham (Drew Canavan 71) 8 Leon Broadhurst 9 Karl Hawley 10 Justin Richards (Chris Knight 77) 11 Chris Lait.

Ilkeston: 1 Ross Durrant 2 Marcus Harness 3 Olly Luto 4 Jordan Wheatley (Charlie Coulson 23) 5 Matt Baker 6 Joe Burgess (c) 7 Joe Doyle 8 Eli Bako 9 Dan Udoh 10 Mike Williams 11 Dexter Atkinson. Subs not used: Luis Rose, Ben Morris, Keenan Meakin, Evandro Rachoni

Att: 505