Robins fly into first round proper of FA Youth Cup

Ilkeston celebrate one of their goals at Studley. Photo by Craig Lamont
Ilkeston celebrate one of their goals at Studley. Photo by Craig Lamont

Ilkeston FC’s Under 18s will host Burton Albion in the first round proper of this season’s FA Youth Cup after a 4-1 away win at Studley.

Goals from Lewis Walker(2), Ben Morris and Luis Rose saw them past a tough Studley side in the third qualifying round clash and bring back memories of Ilkeston’s efforts in the competition two seasons ago.

Haydn Goddard was the first Ilkeston player to get in on the action. He won the ball back from the Studley midfield and made himself some room to get his shot away, but put his effort wide.

Morris was next up when he threaded a ball through to Rose, but Rose was unable to get on the end of it and the keeper gathered.

Morris was soon in action again. He collected the ball out wide, beat his man and fired in a low shot that the keeper did well to save.

At the other end, Studley were starting to get into the game and Ilkeston ‘keeper Jamie Hannis had to be on guard twice in quick succession, first from a low shot, which he saved easily, then from a powerful header, which he rose to collect.

Just after the 20 minute mark Ilkeston took the lead. Ilkeston won a free-kick on the edge of the box which was taken short and then crossed high to the far side of the area and Walker fired it home from a tight angle.

Ten minutes later and Studley had the ball in the back of the Ilkeston net as a cross from a free kick saw Hannis unable to take control of the ball and a Studley forward bundled it into the back of the goal, but the referee ruled it out for a foul on Hannis.

The opening 15 minutes of the second half would see a flurry of goals.

On 48 minutes Ilkeston were 2-0 up. Brandon Clarke chased the ball into the penalty area, forcing a mistake between a defender and the ‘keeper, Clarke crossed the ball from a very tight angle and left Walker with a simple tap in for his and Ilkeston’s second.

Eight minutes later Morris was fouled inside the area and stepped up to take the penalty and placed it out of the ‘keeper’s reach and into the bottom corner of the goal for 3-0.

Four minutes later and Studley pulled a goal back. Max Thornberry was deemed to have fouled a Studley forward and the referee gave the second penalty of the game which was cooly slotted away and Studley found themselves with renewed hope.

Studley were now posing more of a threat going forward and were unlucky not to pull another goal back. A shot from the left hand side of the penalty area evaded everyone and smashed against the inside of the post and away to safety.

On the 85th minute, Ilkeston put the game beyond the reach. Roy Lee crossed from the left, Rose jumped with the keeper and the ball fell to Rhys Dolan whose shot was blocked on the line and left Rose with a simple tap in for 4-1.

Despite the scoreline, this was far from an easy victory with Studley proving to be very tough opposition and making Ilkeston work harder for this victory than in the previous two rounds.

Ilkeston FC: Hannis, Walters, Dolan, Goddard(Barlow), Head(c), Thornberry, Clarke (Johnson), Meakin, Walker (Lee), Morris, Rose.

Subs not used: Roughton, Sargeant