Rockets grounded by Stanton

Stanton Ilkeston U12 7

Redwood Rockets 3

In gusty conditions it was the Rockets who took an early lead as Stanton seemed to switch off and allow the striker too much time and space to finish.

The Ironmen gradually found their rhythm and the equaliser came from a Joshua Axe throw that Tom Andrews controlled to hit a fine cross over for Frank Mavin to finish well at the far post.

The goal seemed to galvanise the Blues with Andrews smacking a 25-yarder that sailed just over the bar and defenders Joe Parkin and James Kibble found their feet with some strong challenges.

Goalie Cameron Roe’s kicks into the wind relieved any pressure and the second goal was well deserved with Daniel Body converting after a goal mouth scramble.

The second-half saw Stanton assert themselves with Jack Lee’s pace and Lewis Carrier’s right wing crosses proving too much for the Rockets back line.

Body’s shot was parried by the Redwood keeper but Ragnar Mularczyk reacted sharply to score Stanton’s third and John Mill soon added a fourth.

Skipper Jack Doughty saw a couple of long range efforts fly narrowly wide and Axe’s spectacular over head kick nearly stole the show.

But Redwood bagged a second to make it four two and Dow Ward and Arron Sheppard were called upon to steady the defence.

The fifth came from another goalmouth scramble as Body fired home and the sixth saw Mularczyk cross for Mill to convert.

It proved seventh heaven for both the Ironmen and Mill as he bagged his hat-trick and Stanton’s seventh with a clinical finish.

The Rockets signed off with a spectacular long range strike for their third but the Ironman deserved their victory in difficult conditions.

Codnor Boys B 1

Stanton Ilkeston U15 3

Stanton travelled to Codnor on a day that started dull and wet and got gradually worse throughout the match.

The Ironmen scored in the first minute when Luke Ashton’s corner was turned in by Danny Lee.

Just three minutes later Ryan Edmonds lobbed the keeper from 25 yards out after Curtis Burrows had seen his shot blocked.

Codnor came back in to the game but Stanton made the next chance with Edmonds heading Burrows’ cross at the keeper and Redd Chadwick firing the rebound over the bar.

John Langley and Edmonds then combined before Burrows picked up the ball and drove a shot home from the edge of the penalty area to make it 3-0 to Stanton.

The final action of the first half was Antony Rice, in goal for Stanton, making anoutstanding finger tip save, pushing the ball on to the bar.

The second-half saw very few clear cut chances, Edmonds firing one effort too high as Stanton sought a fourth goal, but the final score of the day came when Rice couldn’t hold a free-kick and Codnor pulled one back.

Stanton’s man-of-the-match was Archie Chadwick.

Long Eaton Utd U9 5

Arnold Town 2

Long Eaton made it ten wins in a row with a comfortable victory over Arnold.

The hosts were sluggish in the early stages and conceded an early goal when they failed to clear the ball efficiently.

James Taylor shot wide after a good cross by Colby Reynolds, Mason Deakin shot just over from long distance and Joe Lacey had a close range snapshot palmed over the bar, so the equaliser was no surprise.

Taylor swept the ball across the area and Brandon Jarvis finished on the far post.

A lovely passing move was then expertly finished by Taylor just before the break to give Long Eaton a 2-1 lead at half-time.

The game was as good as over within the first five minutes of the second-half.

Jack Burton found Taylor unmarked in midfield with a good throw and after a tremendous run the goalkeeper was given no chance with a hard shot from the edge of the box.

Taylor completed his hat trick when the ball came over from the left and was drilled into the corner of the net.

Arnold pulled a goal back after a real scramble in the area but it was to no avail as Jarvis, man-of-the-match for his all-action performance in midfield, fired a bullet header just over the bar and then claimed his second, and Long Eaton’s fifth, from a tight angle.

West Hallam Harriers U9 1

Long Eaton Colts 2

HARRIERS bowed out of the League Cup after falling to Long Eaton Colts.

A depleted squad held their own against skilful opponents.

The scoreline was 0-0 at half-time and although Long Eaton were probably the better footballing side, Harriers packed defence and long ball tactics were causing problems.

An upset was on the cards five minutes into the second half when Harriers took the lead.

Goalkeeper Dan Cox punted a huge clearance downfield and brother Luke picked the ball up just outside the box, beat his marker and produced an emphatic finish.

Colts equalised with five minutes to go. The previously immaculate Harry Marshall, the Harriers man-of-the-match, was horrified to see his attempted clearance slice into the net after a dangerous cross from the right.

A weary defence failed to clear a bobbling ball two minutes before time and Colts progressed into the quarter-final with a late winner

West Hallam Villa U9 3

Sherwin 1

Villa overcame appallingly windy conditions to progress in the cup.

The hosts actually played better into the wind in the second-half after only taking a single goal lead into the break.

That goal came halfway through the first-half when Joe Lacey broke on the right and curled a lovely ball into the path of Josh Melville whose venomous shot was unstoppable.

Soon afterwards, Melville hit the bar from a free kick and James Taylor headed over from a corner.

Reece Widdowson was bundled over in the box but was unable to convert a twice-taken penalty.

Sherwin equalised immediately after the resumption following a corner, but Villa rolled up their sleeves and retook the lead through Lacey, who outpaced the defence and smashed the ball home.

Sherwin conceded a second penalty but Villa spurned the chance again, before man-of-the-match Melville shot just wide after a glorious passing move involving four players.

James Taylor made sure of the win with a superb drive into the top corner from outside the area.

Chellaston Boys 0

Stanton Ilkeston U16 1

Stanton met Chellaston for the second time this season and having shared the points in their first meeting a tight game was expected.

A strong crossfield wind made the defenders’ jobs very hard when the ball was in the air but Lowe, New, Stevenson and Bonnick kept the visitors at bay.

Stanton’s midfield of Simpson and Cooper worked really hard, giving no ground and causing the game go into a stalemate.

Levers and Bostock camcelled out their opposite numbers on the wings leaving Stanton with limited chances.

Shelton had a good chance after a great ball from Bonnick but lost sight of the ball in the scramble in the six-yard box, then Watson beat several players before putting a shot wide.

Chellaston hit the post before the break as the scores were level going into the second-half.

A moment of genius was needed to open up the game and it was Magdeleno and Eatson that produced it.

A cross was headed into the path of Watson by Magdeleno who then beat his man in the box and punish Chellaston with a fine strike into the roof of the net.

Stanton brought on Fretwell who twice came close to extending Stanton’s lead but was unlucky not to score.

Man-of-the-match: Ade Stevenson.

Belper Sports 3

Stanton Ilkeston U11 4

The Ironmen returned to form following a recent lean spell with a good win in the DMSL Cup competition.

Having gone a goal down in the first-half, an inspirational goal from striker Harry New served to energise the Stanton team.

Jack Lipscombe played with great effort, covering midfield and attack, with good runs - and with luck should have had a hat-trick.

Brandon Godsall was willing to go forward from midfield into attack, and provided the cross which enabled Cory Ash to control the ball and round the ‘keeper for his goal.

The Stanton performance improved further as the game wore on and, with the outstanding Joseph Corker in central defence, the Ironmen gained confidence as Lipscombe and Godsall swept forward into attack.

With Ash holding up the ball in central midfield, and bringing players into the attack, Corker showed great composure as he pushed forward for his two goals - with well-taken shots - from the edge of the penalty area to get the winner.

Spondon Dynamos 1

Stanton Colts U12 4

Colts picked up their first points of the season in spectacular style.

After conceding a sloppy early goal, Stanton levelld when Travis Ball’s corner was fired home by Tom Trueman.

Harry Beer and Jay Baker combined well up front and Colts took the lead when Jake Nicholson’s effort was helped in by Callum Stevenson.

The second-half saw Colts maintain their advantage with some great tackles from Daniel Brown and Ben Smith and Oliver Ash in fine form between the sticks.

The third goal arrived when Oliver Ball and Trueman combined to set up Stevenson who ran the length of the pitch and smashed the ball home.

Kynan Iliffe impressed on the right and subs Alex Read, Lewis Bainbridge and Joel Simpson all contributed well before the game was settled when Nicholson took on three players before firing in the fourth goal.

Callum Stevenson was named man-of-the-match.