Ilkeston RUFC second best at league leaders Kettering RUFC

RUGBY Ilkeston RUFC v Newark. Pictured for Ilkeston is Adam Corcoran and Jake Lamb (with ball)
RUGBY Ilkeston RUFC v Newark. Pictured for Ilkeston is Adam Corcoran and Jake Lamb (with ball)

Elks travelled to top of the league Kettering and were never really in the hunt as they lost 21-0

From the kick off Kettering were soon in the Elks 22 and they went ahead with a penalty to give them a 3-0 lead after 5 mins.

Elks penalty count was mounting and they gave another chance for points when caught offside, Kettering’s kicker this time was off the mark and pushed the kick left on 18 mins.

Following another Kettering attack, they made inroads into Elks 22, but great work from Adam Corcoran turned the ball over.

Basic mistakes from Elks were putting the side under pressure and Kettering had another good attack.

A knock on prevented a likely score, but Elks were offside and Kettering stretched the lead with another penalty to make it 6-0 after 30 mins.

Kettering were soon on the attack again and, at the next breakdown, Elks were guilty of pulling in the scrum half. The referee decided it was cynical and Jake Lamb was yellow carded on 31 mins.

Elks had to defend desperately as Kettering tried to turn the screw with the man advantage.

However great defensive work by G. Taylor, Corcoran and Alex Ayres held Kettering at bay. They did get a final chance at three points from a penalty, but the kick was missed on 39 mins making 6-0 at half time.

Kettering kicked off and Elks made the worst possible start as they knocked on and Kettering took full advantage to scopre in the corner and extend their lead to 11-0.

Following another Elks penalty Kettering had a shot at goal, which missed on 50 mins. Kettering were looking quicker at the breakdown denying any continuity when Elks had the ball.

Kettering attacked from a line out in Elks 22 and drove forward, the ball was held up but Elks were penalised, Kettering took a quick tap and Elks response was too slow as the scrum half darted over on 57 mins to make it 18-0.

Elks tried hard to get back into the game, but Kettering’s defence was solid. Mistakes were again being made by the Elks who were struggling to link any phases together.

Another breakdown penalty gave Kettering another shot at goal and this time it was struck cleanly to make it 21-0 after 65 mins and wrap up the scoring.