In-form Elks romp to comfortable victory

Ilkeston hooker Marc Moore (with ball) tries to escape the attentions of a Loughborough opponent during the 76-8 win at The Stute on Saturday.
Ilkeston hooker Marc Moore (with ball) tries to escape the attentions of a Loughborough opponent during the 76-8 win at The Stute on Saturday.

Ilkeston’s perfect start to the new season continued on Saturday as they dismantled Loughborough 76-8 at The Stute to remain top of the table.

The Elks ran in 13 tries in a totally one-sided match, avenging defeat by the same team at the end of last season.

Loughborough kicked off with the slope in their favour and converted an early penalty for a ruck infringement.

The next ten minutes were all spent around the half way line as both sides made mistakes in the contact area.

The first real break was by Matt McGuire, but Loughborough kicked clear only to be caught by Dan Mahoney who passed inside to Joel Haigh on a break who in turn found Hugh Smith to sprint clear and score on 15 minutes unconverted.

The Loughborough re-start went straight out of play on the full and from the ensuing scrum the ball was fed wide and good hands by Jono Falls and Mahoney took the Elks deep into the 22 where Loughborough were penalised and Falls kicked the penalty on the 18 minute mark.

Loughborough then attacked and the Elks were penalised for side entry which was kicked on 20 minutes to make the score 8-6.

Ilkeston came straight back on the attack and from a scrum, slick passing between Haigh and Jake Lamb put Greg Taylor through who probably could have scored but unselfishly put Falls in for the easier score on 27 minutes – Falls converting his own try.

The Elks then began to dominate most areas of the field and the opposition began to tire under the continued pressure.

When the Loughborough scrum-half was sin-binned on 36 minutes their penalty count increased. The penalty was kicked to touch, well caught and driven over the try line with Adam Corcoran coming up with the score on 37 minutes, unconverted.

The Elks were quickly into the attack again and a great move involving backs and forwards put Greg Taylor over on 40 minutes, unconverted to bring half-time at 25-6.

Ilkeston, with the slope in the second-half, ran riot as Loughborough visibly tired and some great interplay from backs and forwards alike resulted in the home side scoring a further nine tries.

They came through Stephen Fowkes (43 minutes), Corcoran (54 minutes), Greg Taylor (56 minutes), Smith (61 minutes), Mahoney (64 minutes), Haigh (74 minutes), Falls (76 minutes), Lamb (78 minutes) and Falls (80 minutes).

With four of the tries being converted, the final score was 78-6.

Among many candidates for man-of-the-match, Matt McGuire was outstanding in the loose which is impressive, playing at prop - so the award goes to him.