Strong display sees great start continue

Ilkeston RUFC continued their excellent start to the season with a resounding 42-17 win over Peterborough at The Stute on Saturday.

Unusually warm weather again made for a fast and furious game which gave some entertaining rugby as well as some periods of scrappy play.

The Elks started playing downhill and were quickly into their stride, Lewis Taylor making a superb break down the left and as the last man tackled him he was able to offload back inside to Adam Corcoran who went over for the first score, converted by Jono Falls.

A Peterborough player was then stretchered off with a broken ankle and the stoppage did not help either team. The Elks gave away too many silly penalties and one of these was kicked on 30 minutes to make the score 7-3

But Ilkeston had a great finish to the half with communication and execution much better. A break first by Alex Ayres and then Joel Haigh, put Hugh Smith in for a try which was converted by Falls.

From the kick off the ball was taken by Corcoran who ran it back with Steve Fowkes in support and eventually passed to Lewis Taylor to go over, though the try was unconverted this time.

Corcoran was then involved again as a kick ahead was gathered and passed to Greg Taylor who eventually ran out of support and Ilkeston led 19-3 at half-time.

The second-half began with uncontested scrums due to a further Peterborough front row injury, and this hindered the Elks who had started to dominate the scrummage.

The Elks’ discipline again let them down though as Peterborough were able to clear their lines.

A great kick by Greg Taylor then put the Elks back in the opposition 22. The line out was well stolen and the ball was fed to Haigh who came back blind and good hands put Greg Taylor in to score, again unconverted.

Peterborough then came back and had their best period of the game, as some good drives and runs in midfield allowed them to score two converted tries to bring them right back into the game at 24-17.

The next Elks visit to the Peterborough 22 ended with them offside for an easy three-point penalty kick by Falls.

The Elks then attacked well and recycled the ball several times although wrong options seemed to be taken.

Finally, after six phases, good handling put Ayres in on the right and his unconverted try made the score 32-17.

As players tired in the heat, both sides used their benches to bring on fresh legs.

The Elks then pressured the Peterborough line and a loose pass was pounced on by man-of-the-match Corcoran to score, unconverted, and the same player went over again before the end to leave the final score 42-17.