United progress in FA Vase

Share this article

FA Vase First Round Proper

Long Eaton United 2

Boston Town 0

Long Eaton’s attention turned to the FA Vase on Saturday with the visit of Boston Town.

Having breezed through the qualifying rounds this was the first round proper of the competition and the Blues would have gone in massive favourites with Boston having won only one game in their league.

However, cup competitions do spring out the unlikeliest upsets and many a fan would have had this in the back of their minds.

Long Eaton did nothing to steady the nerves of their supporters as they failed to take a hold of the game early in the first-half.

Struggling to string more than three passes together, United looked less than average, Blaine Hancock’s shot on the edge of the box the only chance of worth.

Sloppy work in the midfield and a lack of creative fire up top left Charlie Palmer scratching his head at the bipolar nature of his team. Boston failed to take advantage of Long Eaton’s lethargic start, also lacking composure in the final third.

The beginning period of the second-half proved a different story. A re-energised Long Eaton fired out of the blocks well and produced a goal. Adam Corrigan linking beautifully with Matt Savage to work a chance that he fired home.

Long Eaton would have liked to put the game to bed but poor decisions in Boston’s half allowed the visitors a sniff.

Then, ten minutes from time, disaster struck. An off the ball scuffle at a corner led to Adam Burton being shown a red card, leaving Long Eaton down to ten men with just a one-goal lead.

The whole of the Big Jim stand had nails chewed to the bone but anxiety was lifted as inspirational leader Shaun Rickford, a bystander for much of the game, blossomed.

Slipping past the Boston defence with silky smooth skills he placed home a sublime finish sending the Blues into the next round.

Speaking after the game, manager Palmer credited his team’s win whilst stressing the need to be more clinical and ruthless.

United will now host Warwickshire side Coleshill Town in the second round on November 16.

Report by Adam Slater