Derbyshire fire service highlights dangers of '˜silent killer' gas

The fire service and a national organisation have joined forces to highlight the deadly dangers of a silent killer.

Thursday, 30th March 2017, 2:40 pm
Updated Saturday, 8th April 2017, 10:22 pm
Stakeholder Implementation Manager Phil Burrows and Area Manager Alex Johnson.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service (DFRS) and National Grid are working in partnership to raise awareness of the dangers associated with carbon monoxide gas.

National Grid has supplied DFRS with more than a thousand carbon monoxide alarms, 500 smoke alarm testing sticks and information leaflets for community safety officers and firefighters to give out during ‘Safe and Well’ visits, during which fire prevention advice is given to residents. The visits target those most at risk, including elderly people and families with young children.

DFRS community safety area manager Alex Johnson said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning is potentially fatal and even inhaling low-levels of the gas can cause lasting damage to your health.

“Firefighters and community safety officers work hard to help prevent carbon monoxide poisonings from occurring, especially amongst those who are deemed more vulnerable. With the help of National Grid, the service hopes to further raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide gas and prevent deaths and injuries from happening across Derbyshire.”

Carbon monoxide is known as the ‘silent killer’ because it cannot be seen, smelt or tasted.

Philip Burrows, stakeholder implementation manager for National Grid, said: “Carbon monoxide poisoning kills around 40 people every year across the country with a further 4,000 people being admitted to hospital with poisoning symptoms, but this can easily be prevented.

“We are delighted to be working with Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service to make Derbyshire residents safer.”

For advice on safety see