Drug-addict thief targeted retired woman's mobility scooter

A heroin-user who stole food and jewellery from a retired woman's mobility scooter has been warned he could face jail if he commits another crime.

Monday, 7th March 2016, 11:35 am
Updated Monday, 7th March 2016, 11:36 am
Chesterfield magistrates court.
Chesterfield magistrates court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Thursday, March 3, how Simon Fisher, 49, of Mansfield Road, Bolsover, initially stole three bottles of aftershave from The Original Factory Shop in December, last year, before targeting the disabled woman’s scooter in February.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said: “In relation to the first offence a member of staff from the Original Factory Shop, in Bolsover, was eating lunch outside when she saw Fisher talk to two males before going into the shop and then walking out and pulling the aftershave out from a pocket.

“She told staff and CCTV was checked and Fisher was seen putting fragrance into a basket and the going out of view.

“The second offence was committed while he was on bail. A retired lady with mobility issues had gone to bingo at The Assembly Rooms, in Bolsover, on her scooter and CCTV showed this parked up in the foyer with a bag of shopping.

“CCTV shows Fisher going to the scooter and taking items out of the bag that contained food, a broach, beads and another bag. The victim said the offence really upset her and made her sick.”

Fisher, who has a previous kindred theft offences, pleaded guilty to both thefts and admitted failing to surrender to custody for a court hearing on March 1.

Probation officer Katie Webberley said illicit substances have been a driving factor in Fisher’s offending.

She added: “His every day use of heroin costs him £30. He showed a level of remorse and accepts the victim’s vulnerability regarding the theft at the Assembly Rooms.

“When he has abstained from drugs his record of offending behaviour does slow down or cease.

“His goal is to be drug-free and to find employment.”

Defence solicitor John Wilford there are periods when Fisher can stay out of trouble and when he has been working he has been alcohol and drug-free and does not offend.

Mr Wilford explained that Fisher had attended court on March 1 but had been late for his hearing because he had made a mistake over the date.

Mr Wilford also added: “When the effect on the victim at the Assembly Rooms was pointed out to Mr Fisher, he apologised and obviously regretted the incident and he showed remorse.”

Magistrates sentenced Fisher to eight weeks of custody suspended for 12 months with a Drug Rehabilitation Order and a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement.

He was also ordered to pay £103 compensation.

Magistrates warned Fisher that any re-offending could activate the suspended custodial sentence and could see him go directly to prison.